Anonymousamie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Ah, I’m in Year 13 and I’ve been waking up at 7am every day to work as much as I can, but I can’t help but feel it’s all for nothing. For example, I revise last year’s content, but what if the ‘mini exams’ do go ahead and they only focus on recent topics? The uncertainty is killing me, as I’m sure it is for many other students. I’ve been struggling to sleep recently due to anxiety over returning to sixth form and I’m so worried about failing to get an A to study History at University. Can anyone relate? If so, how often are you revising?
sanct1fy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I'm in Year 13 now and I can totally get what you're saying. It's a bit different from my perspective as I take two Art & Design A-Levels (Graphics and Photography), and one theory-based, A-Level film. In my case, the work is daunting and for art students, they scrapped the exams a long long time before, so now our artwork makes up for 100% of our A-Level grade. As for the A-Level film, I do sometimes have those feelings that this is for nothing, but I'm always told by my teachers that all of the work that I do accounts towards a centre assessment grade, and the more evidence you have of high standard work, the better your grade is.
nnth
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymousamie)
Ah, I’m in Year 13 and I’ve been waking up at 7am every day to work as much as I can, but I can’t help but feel it’s all for nothing. For example, I revise last year’s content, but what if the ‘mini exams’ do go ahead and they only focus on recent topics? The uncertainty is killing me, as I’m sure it is for many other students. I’ve been struggling to sleep recently due to anxiety over returning to sixth form and I’m so worried about failing to get an A to study History at University. Can anyone relate? If so, how often are you revising?
It sounds like you're really motivated to revise . I haven't been revising recently, but I really should have. I wouldn't worry about revising too much, from your perspective, as these mini tests will add to our final grades (I'm not that sure how much though). If you do the best you can, your teachers will surely give you the best grades!
Yewfelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there! I'm also trying to get an A in History to study history, lol. Also doing Class Civ and Ancient History.

Am I revising? BAHAHAHAHAHAHA no. Haven't opened a book since the exams were cancelled! That stuff is dull as anything, I'm keeping myself occupied with actually interesting and useful things, like learning Excel and studying music theory. Time is not eternal, don't waste it on dull s***.

Seriously, get some rest and have some fun. Health > exams. Revising is completely and utterly pointless, the teachers are just trying to cover their backs so parents don't get cross and think they're not doing anything (also government and ofqual). I can safely say that the vast majority of kids have stopped any serious work now that exams are gone and it's all pointless. Because, y'know, this education system isn't an education system but an exam factory.
sanct1fy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Yewfelle)
Because, y'know, this education system isn't an education system but an exam factory.
I've never heard that one before but I LOVE IT BAHFHAHFHASGHAHS
moahmed6336
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
HhhHhhHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHA, n0t revising lol. Please tell me I'm not the o only one
natashaxoxo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I take three essay based subjects but I haven't been revising, instead when I've been set assessments I've just spent longer on them so I can try and get the highest grade possible, just in case the situation is similar to last year and they base results purely on mocks/class assessments we've done. If they do announce mini exams, then I'll start revising but for now no
ninja24
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm trying to revise both year 12 and 13 content. Because there is a possibility that we get tested on both years, but reduced content. Also, many of the A2 topics are build ups from year 12. So it's best to solidify AS knowledge and then proceed to A2. But I don't know, I could be wrong.
_sumayajama
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am soo worried about the exams. I feel like I don't have enough time to improve and feel like I am going to fail. I also procrastinate a lot. Do you guys have any tips.
tatekiveal
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Yewfelle)
Hi there! I'm also trying to get an A in History to study history, lol. Also doing Class Civ and Ancient History.

Am I revising? BAHAHAHAHAHAHA no. Haven't opened a book since the exams were cancelled! That stuff is dull as anything, I'm keeping myself occupied with actually interesting and useful things, like learning Excel and studying music theory. Time is not eternal, don't waste it on dull s***.

Seriously, get some rest and have some fun. Health > exams. Revising is completely and utterly pointless, the teachers are just trying to cover their backs so parents don't get cross and think they're not doing anything (also government and ofqual). I can safely say that the vast majority of kids have stopped any serious work now that exams are gone and it's all pointless. Because, y'know, this education system isn't an education system but an exam factory.
this is totally untrue. well, the part about teachers covering their backs as well as the govenment, because I certainly agree that this **** is dull as ****. However non of my friends, nor I, have stopped revisising, in fact I have mock exams this week which will help make create our predicted grades. Our school literally only gave us one week notice tho, so i doubt I'll do well, but I tried my best... that's all i could do. These mini exams are ********, i can't believe they cancelled exams and replaced them with mini exams, but it is what it is... You have to keep revising if you want the grades you deserve. the whole system, school everything is absolute ******** and its ****ing tiring me out and etc but i have to get the grades, there's no but, and so if grades are important to you to, revise for god's sake!!! p.s the govenment will probably inflate grades and also if you dont get the right grades, you can appeal
ari1224
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm not lol, but I am doing the hw which are exam qs so idk if that counts...
tatekiveal
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by _sumayajama)
I am soo worried about the exams. I feel like I don't have enough time to improve and feel like I am going to fail. I also procrastinate a lot. Do you guys have any tips.
same bro same, imma pass on a tip someone in uni gave me: go physics and maths tutor (if u do physics and/or maths) and constantly do practise papers. Also seneca is pretty good tho it is very basic. If u take any other a level just find past papers online im sure u can just search them up. GOOD LUCK!!!! this year has been **** for all of us so well done for making it this far, we've got some time left, enouph time to prepare for "mini" exams but also not too much time for me to personally wanna bash my head on my wall haha
nnth
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tatekiveal)
same bro same, imma pass on a tip someone in uni gave me: go physics and maths tutor (if u do physics and/or maths) and constantly do practise papers. Also seneca is pretty good tho it is very basic. If u take any other a level just find past papers online im sure u can just search them up. GOOD LUCK!!!! this year has been **** for all of us so well done for making it this far, we've got some time left, enouph time to prepare for "mini" exams but also not too much time for me to personally wanna bash my head on my wall haha
Yeah, those are great tips . I'd also recommend transforming revision from a chore into a habit, so it feels less energy draining and time consuming when you do it. This could mean dedicating 30 mins to revision every day after you wake up or before bed, but having a fixed time so you know exactly when to do it (e.g. 8:30 am).
_sumayajama
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank youuu I feel the sameee. Good luck to you too !!
tatekiveal
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nnth)
Yeah, those are great tips . I'd also recommend transforming revision from a chore into a habit, so it feels less energy draining and time consuming when you do it. This could mean dedicating 30 mins to revision every day after you wake up or before bed, but having a fixed time so you know exactly when to do it (e.g. 8:30 am).
you're right, it'll be difficult, I mean there are a hundred thousand different other things I would rather be doing haha, but that's probably the most sustainable method. Wish you the best for exams, idk you but I'm sure you'll smash em.
_sumayajama
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nnth)
I going to start doing this. I literally wake up at 11 am -my class normally starts at 11. Thank you
wingu
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by natashaxoxo)
I take three essay based subjects but I haven't been revising, instead when I've been set assessments I've just spent longer on them so I can try and get the highest grade possible, just in case the situation is similar to last year and they base results purely on mocks/class assessments we've done. If they do announce mini exams, then I'll start revising but for now no
Same here. I am just trying my best to achieve high grades in tests but not really revising for any mini exams.
_sumayajama
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
you're right, it'll be difficult, I mean there are a hundred thousand different other things I would rather be doing haha, but that's probably the most sustainable method. Wish you the best for exams, idk you but I'm sure you'll smash em.
Thank youu! Hopefully, we all will!
username5487898
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My mocks were supposed to be in January but they got cancelled because of lockdown. I sort of revised on the Christmas hols but then i stopped becahse of lockdown i just lot motivation. And ive sort of tried revising today.. the stress is making me want to revsie more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (632)
48.77%
No (664)
51.23%

Watched Threads