How do I motivate myself for Bio A-level?

Watch
staryyy676
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My mother and father strongly advocated and pressured me into taking Biology for my A-levels. I managed to select one A- level by myself: English Literature.

Right now I find it really hard to concentrate in Bio when I don't like the subject. I can barely handle it and due to lack of motivation I'm preforming badly in tests.

I'm getting E's in Bio and B's in Chem (which isn't that bad.) I do alot better in Eng- A's to B's. I genuinely enjoy English Literature and look forward to it every lesson.

I'm in year 1 and I need some advice on how to motivate myself/ get myself to like the subject. I'm really stressed out and sad at the moment. Even when I do revise for Bio, I always fail. What revision techniques should I try out? I know if I find something I like about the subject, it will make my life alot more tolerable. Also, I was planning on getting Uplearn to aid me in revision, does anyone recommend it/have reviews for it. I really don't know how to revise.

By the end of year one I want to be achieving B's in Bik and A's in English Literature. Can someone please help? I'm desperate.
Last edited by staryyy676; 1 week ago
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Honestly and no offence, unless you want to do something, finding motivation to do something is near enough impossible unless you find yourself actually liking it through simply trying it.

Honestly I hope you get the motivation to do it (main reason for this message as you can see from my name I like the sciences) but there’s not much you can do except give it a go and if you don’t like it, switch subjects.

Sorry I know this wasn’t much help!

Mind if I ask why they pressured you into doing it? Are your family all scientists or people in the medical field?
Last edited by Scienceisgood; 1 week ago
cactussalad
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
try to read around the subject and link it to things you enjoy - might be tricky with English lit but you can give it a go

honestly if you're hating the subjects I'd consider swapping - no matter what you want to do later its best to get the highest grades you possibly can. Also judging from this you don't want to do bio/chem at uni so it would probably open up your options more
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Mind if I ask what you are finding so hard in bio and I may be able to help you out?

I’ll admit not doing well in something only adds to stress meaning you hate it more but finding something easier can help in revision!
Last edited by Scienceisgood; 1 week ago
wingu
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In my opinion, I think you should drop these subjects - if you still can. It will be even harder to motivate yourself in Year 2 and it may reflect on your exam results. Most of the difficult part in biology may be the exam questions. I advise you to get yourself some biology and chemistry tuition. I was getting really low grades in Year 1 and I am more confident and getting Bs ever since I got tuition. There are definitely cheap tuition if money is the issue. Try to buy exam revision notes if you want, I prefer already made notes so they helped me alot as it gave me more room to learn and do questions.
staryyy676
Rep:
?
(Original post by wingu)
In my opinion, I think you should drop these subjects - if you still can. It will be even harder to motivate yourself in Year 2 and it may reflect on your exam results. Most of the difficult part in biology may be the exam questions. I advise you to get yourself some biology and chemistry tuition. I was getting really low grades in Year 1 and I am more confident and getting Bs ever since I got tuition. There are definitely cheap tuition if money is the issue. Try to buy exam revision notes if you want, I prefer already made notes so they helped me alot as it gave me more room to learn and do questions.
I can't drop any subjects, as I'm way to deep into the course- 5 months in. For biology I really struggle with the exam questions and small details. The mark schemes are really specific and as a result I don't pick up marks.

Also, ever since lockdown started I've been doing significantly worse on my Bio tests. At the start of the year I was getting B's and C's. Now I'm getting U's and E's. Remote learning has really increased my dislike for the subject, but when I'm in school learning in a classroom the subjects not that bad/ I somewhat like it. I was thinking to maybe redo a year, but I know that if I get back into a classroom, there maybe some hope to remotivate myself again.

I was thinking of getting tuition, but I'm not sure. I might try it out and get Studymind.
staryyy676
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
Mind if I ask what you are finding so hard in bio and I may be able to help you out?

I’ll admit not doing well in something only adds to stress meaning you hate it more but finding something easier can help in revision!
For biology it's the small details and how precise the mark schemes are. I also am struggling to find a revision technique that works for me. I'm going to start answering exam questions and looking at mark schemes, as many have recommended this to me. Do you recommend any revision techniques?
staryyy676
Rep:
?
(Original post by cactussalad)
try to read around the subject and link it to things you enjoy - might be tricky with English lit but you can give it a go

honestly if you're hating the subjects I'd consider swapping - no matter what you want to do later its best to get the highest grades you possibly can. Also judging from this you don't want to do bio/chem at uni so it would probably open up your options more
I'm not keen on re-doing a year. I'm 5 months into my course and it's to late for me to swap.

The 1st peice of advice seems really helpful 👍, I'll definitely try it
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by staryyy676)
For biology it's the small details and how precise the mark schemes are. I also am struggling to find a revision technique that works for me. I'm going to start answering exam questions and looking at mark schemes, as many have recommended this to me. Do you recommend any revision techniques?
Oh yes, the mark schemes for biology (No I’m not being sarcastic)! Sorry to say but all I can say is practise and memorise the mark schemes to get used to them. This was a big problem for me too, to the point where I had to retake too many times than I care to admit (still got my 2.1 in Biomedical Science though).

Revision techniques, personally I colour coded revision cards and essentially committed certain answers to memory as essentially the questions are more or less all the same, just phrased differently.

Either that or do a quick fire round and/or get people to ask you a question, right out the answer, get your marks and try again.

The main thing I absolutely HATED with mark schemes at A Level was the precise phrasing as you’ve said yourself, for example, an answer could say “a greater diversity of food available to the organism” but I would put “more food available for the organism” essentially giving me 0.

Sorry to say but A levels are an absolute *itch with regards to their mark schemes! Hence why I preferred uni... far more freedom!

Essentially what is it that works for you revision wise, as in how do you learn? I would also often do flash cards and try and spray them out in front of me or do diagrams. It honestly depended on the question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (633)
48.69%
No (667)
51.31%

Watched Threads