Teacher thinks some of my class has cheated (including me...)

Watch
EmergencyFood
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
A while ago, all Biology students did an online multiple-choice test.

In my Biology lesson today, my teacher made the class do one essay question (we only had to write one paragraph for it). However, he made a small part of the class do a harder essay question (that includes me). These people did 'suspiciously well' on the test. He said he made us write part of an essay because he wants to weed out anybody who cheated on the test before, i.e. if a student writes a good answer, then they probably didn't cheat. I'm very annoyed at this. Firstly, I didn't understand why I was picked on, because at college, I consistently got A's and A*'s on my tests, and I didn't cheat. My teacher himself said I was bright. Also, I don't see the point of him doing all this. I don't even know if other teachers in the Biology department are doing the same thing as he is (although I could just ask my friend, who has a different Biology teacher).

I'm upset that he thinks I cheated, when I didn't.

Should I report this to the Head of Department?
zecretive
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wouldn't report it if I were you because it could just create more problems with your teacher.
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by EmergencyFood)
A while ago, all Biology students did an online multiple-choice test.

In my Biology lesson today, my teacher made the class do one essay question (we only had to write one paragraph for it). However, he made a small part of the class do a harder essay question (that includes me). These people did 'suspiciously well' on the test. He said he made us write part of an essay because he wants to weed out anybody who cheated on the test before, i.e. if a student writes a good answer, then they probably didn't cheat. I'm very annoyed at this. Firstly, I didn't understand why I was picked on, because at college, I consistently got A's and A*'s on my tests, and I didn't cheat. My teacher himself said I was bright. Also, I don't see the point of him doing all this. I don't even know if other teachers in the Biology department are doing the same thing as he is (although I could just ask my friend, who has a different Biology teacher).

I'm upset that he thinks I cheated, when I didn't.

Should I report this to the Head of Department?
Hey EmergencyFood :^_^:

I think there's a couple approaches here:
1. Ask your teacher for a feedback (one to one) so you can better understand what they mean. Perhaps you can ask for feedback on your multiple choice test and try to work out what their thoughts are on your work. This might also help you to understand whatever the reason was for giving you the harder question and hopefully establish a bit more trust between you both.
2. See it as a challenge that will only benefit you in the long run! Doing the harder question and smashing it is something to be really happy about, and shows that you're more than competent of doing the work you've been set and are justifiably still on track for your A*/A! Take it on the chin, keep working hard and rise to the challenge even though it can be quite hard to when it feels like you've been wronged. From what you've said you've got a great work ethic, so use the extra hard question as good way to challenge and prove yourself.

Going straight to your department head at the moment might be a bit much, so try thinking of other ways you can make yourself feel comfortable in the class again before you do that. You could always ask your friend if their class is during something similar incase it's a departmental thing rather than a class thing, but I reckon trying to open up your relationship with your teacher might help a bit.

Let us know how you get on!
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
EmergencyFood
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks for your advice guys
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (633)
48.69%
No (667)
51.31%

Watched Threads