How do you feel about age gap relationships?

Watch
Mike12390
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Like the title says, what's your opinion on the matter?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well unless you were both delievered at the exact same time, there will always be a gap in age between relationships - whether it's a day or 10 years.
Mike12390
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Well unless you were both delievered at the exact same time, there will always be a gap in age between relationships - whether it's a day or 10 years.
Good point. How do you feel about large age gaps like a 18 year old dating a 30 or 40 year old? Or a 25 year old dating a 40 year old?
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So long as its legal, I dont care. Why would I concern myself over other people's relationships.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
So long as its legal, I dont care. Why would I concern myself over other people's relationships.
Second time today I’m getting PRSOM :stomp:
Itadori.1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So if a 16 year old dated an 18 year old would you see that as improper as opposed to a 50 year old dating an 18 year old?
CatGentleman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This question seems to pop up every day in some form.
Lwexi12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i think it don't matter lol
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Itadori.1)
So if a 16 year old dated an 18 year old would you see that as improper as opposed to a 50 year old dating an 18 year old?
Both are legal... I wouldnt care about either...
CatGentleman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
your current avi is the cutest i have ever seen :O
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CatGentleman)
This question seems to pop up every day in some form.
Yep. And almost always by first-time or anonymous posters.
Itadori.1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
okay then what about a 15 year old and an 18 year old?
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
okay then what about a 15 year old and an 18 year old?
Thats not legal.
Itadori.1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thats not legal.
But you said why should you concern yourself over someone else's love life but now it's an issue. The age gap and maturity level between a 15 year old and an 18 year old is much closer than a 50 year old and an 18 year old. The law doesn't decide when you become mature. Everyone's different so the question isn't from a legal perspective
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
But you said why should you concern yourself over someone else's love life but now it's an issue. The age gap and maturity level between a 15 year old and an 18 year old is much closer than a 50 year old and an 18 year old. The law doesn't decide when you become mature. Everyone's different so the question isn't from a legal perspective
Well my answer and opinion is based on a legal perspective.
I think its up to the individuals in the relationship to gauge their maturity and form a relationship based on that, assuming its within the bounds of the law. Even if I had a negative opinion on age gaps, it isnt going to have an affect on what other people do, so why would I work myself up in the first place? Let people live their lives and make their own choices.
Last edited by LovelyMrFox; 1 week ago
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If it's legal, there's no problem and none of my business anyway.
concernedLMAO
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Going to go against the grain here, IMO in the majority of cases they’re unhealthy and fall into categories 1 or 2:

1) older partner (99% of the time a man) is using the younger one for sex without having any genuine feelings/attachment. This wouldn’t be bad if the older partner was honest about this but generally they’re not.

2) older partner has genuine feelings but is a manchild and unable to get anyone their own age. Better than the above example but still a bit dodgy and it would upset me if I had a daughter/son as the younger partner in this situation.

3) Both have their **** together and know it isn’t anything serious. Nothing wrong with this but it’s quite rare compared to the 2 above IMO.

4) Both have their **** together and it is genuinely serious. Never seen this.

Let’s be honest here it’s going to be quite rare for well adjusted guy to be able to form an emotional connection with a woman who doesn’t meet the half age plus 7 rule. I’m early twenties and while I’m still attracted to 18yos and probably still will be at 60 even now they seem like children in conversation.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by concernedLMAO)
Going to go against the grain here, IMO in the majority of cases they’re unhealthy and fall into categories 1 or 2:

1) older partner (99% of the time a man) is using the younger one for sex without having any genuine feelings/attachment. This wouldn’t be bad if the older partner was honest about this but generally they’re not.

2) older partner has genuine feelings but is a manchild and unable to get anyone their own age. Better than the above example but still a bit dodgy and it would upset me if I had a daughter/son as the younger partner in this situation.

3) Both have their **** together and know it isn’t anything serious. Nothing wrong with this but it’s quite rare compared to the 2 above IMO.

4) Both have their **** together and it is genuinely serious. Never seen this.

Let’s be honest here it’s going to be quite rare for well adjusted guy to be able to form an emotional connection with a woman who doesn’t meet the half age plus 7 rule. I’m early twenties and while I’m still attracted to 18yos and probably still will be at 60 even now they seem like children in conversation.
You are allowed to cite me and my wife under point 4 in the future! 😁
concernedLMAO
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
You are allowed to cite me and my wife under point 4 in the future! 😁
bbbonbon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So long as its legal, I dont care. Why would I concern myself over other people's relationships
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (74)
11.88%
Virtual campus tours/open days (153)
24.56%
Live streaming events (51)
8.19%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
8.83%
A uni comparison tool (146)
23.43%
An in-person event when available (144)
23.11%