The Student Room Group

CAGs A Levels

How were your experiences with CAGs from last year? Were you happy with the results?
And has anybody received CAGs through an Exam Centre? And would you prefer exams for private candidates this year or CAGs?
Reply 1
Yes, yes, no(?), there should be as much standardisation as possible across the board for a fair comparison.

Tbf I worked my socks off for yonks, so it was a huge relief that the system was kind on me, though I understand there were a lot of not so fortunate people on the day.

There were a few I know who got their grades bumped up, though I know for a fact they weren't working at those grades, which made those who'd worked hard seem like their effort had gone to waste a little. :frown: Nonetheless, I was overjoyed to see that people who'd worked hard got the grades they deserved (whether that was after a wait, or on the day, is another story), and got into uni/world of work.

Ultimately - work hard, effort pays off eventually.
CAGs were fine, no exams for private candidates please, I can do without that s*** in my life. I'm preparing for CAGs round 2 as a private candidate.
Reply 3
Yewfelle, so you think there will be CAGs this year? At which exam centre or school are you doing them? I haven‘t find an exam centre yet, so I am a little stressed about that
I'm a private candidate, I believe the centre's in wimbledon or something. You should probably find an exam centre asap before the government announcement on thursday to make sure you'll get a grade. Plus, they're going to double the fees pretty soon.

And yeah, there will be CAGs - the exams have already been cancelled.
Reply 5
Original post by Yewfelle
I'm a private candidate, I believe the centre's in wimbledon or something. You should probably find an exam centre asap before the government announcement on thursday to make sure you'll get a grade. Plus, they're going to double the fees pretty soon.

And yeah, there will be CAGs - the exams have already been cancelled.

Which exam board do you have? Because I have Cambridge International, and some told me that it is not sure how they are gonna proceed now. I contacted with 3 exam centres, but not even one has responded me yet. The provider on which i am studying told me that they wait maybe for the government announcement. I am so confused and stressed
Original post by Hanna044
Which exam board do you have? Because I have Cambridge International, and some told me that it is not sure how they are gonna proceed now. I contacted with 3 exam centres, but not even one has responded me yet. The provider on which i am studying told me that they wait maybe for the government announcement. I am so confused and stressed

Ah, that makes more sense. I believe CIE has only just now cancelled. I'm doing OCR so my exams were cancelled ages ago.
Reply 7
Ah, that makes more sense. I believe CIE has only just now cancelled. I'm doing OCR so my exams were cancelled ages ago.

Yes they announced just yet. My problem is even that I am studying international A Levels and I am not a UK citizen, just currently staying in the UK. I have heard that international Exams in the UK may not have been cancelled, as they are international and not UK based. I hate that, that Cambridge is always the last to announce something
Yes they announced just yet. My problem is even that I am studying international A Levels and I am not a UK citizen, just currently staying in the UK. I have heard that international Exams in the UK may not have been cancelled, as they are international and not UK based. I hate that, that Cambridge is always the last to announce something

CIEs have been cancelled for those sitting in the UK. But not for other countries. You should have your exams cancelled though. I did a CIE last year, very glad not to be caught up in it this year.
How were your experiences with CAGs from last year? Were you happy with the results?
And has anybody received CAGs through an Exam Centre? And would you prefer exams for private candidates this year or CAGs?

I got CAGs that were unrepresentative of my abilities. In the Autumn I was able to achieve a grade higher in each of my subjects, if I had more time I could've achieved more.
I am now a private candidate and I would prefer exams due to my past experiences. However, I must admit I'm not aware of the intricacies and what that would mean in the grand scheme of things. For instance, if grades boundaries would become higher? Or if it would be considered unfair alongside the other year group.
Mini-tests alongside other evidence such as coursework is the best course of action for us if the former option is not possible.

CAGs will never be as unfair as they were last year, due to the complete lack of awareness we experienced that mocks count towards our final grade on the linear A level courses most of us were studying.
Reply 10
CIEs have been cancelled for those sitting in the UK. But not for other countries. You should have your exams cancelled though. I did a CIE last year, very glad not to be caught up in it this year.

I am very upset with Cambridge. I am taking my AS Levels so I have no experience with that. I am totally overwhelmed with that
Reply 11
Original post by bigrocks
I got CAGs that were unrepresentative of my abilities. In the Autumn I was able to achieve a grade higher in each of my subjects, if I had more time I could've achieved more.
I am now a private candidate and I would prefer exams due to my past experiences. However, I must admit I'm not aware of the intricacies and what that would mean in the grand scheme of things. For instance, if grades boundaries would become higher? Or if it would be considered unfair alongside the other year group.
Mini-tests alongside other evidence such as coursework is the best course of action for us if the former option is not possible.

CAGs will never be as unfair as they were last year, due to the complete lack of awareness we experienced that mocks count towards our final grade on the linear A level courses most of us were studying.

Yes thats my fear, that I don’t get the grades that I want. So I am thinking now, if it is sure that private candidates are getting CAGs, what I am going to do. To take the exams in the autumn series or to take the CAGs. Do you know if I can resit my AS exams if I am not happy with the CAG results?
Yes thats my fear, that I don’t get the grades that I want. So I am thinking now, if it is sure that private candidates are getting CAGs, what I am going to do. To take the exams in the autumn series or to take the CAGs. Do you know if I can resit my AS exams if I am not happy with the CAG results?

I haven't personally sat AS's , however AS grades only count towards your predicted grades. In a recent news article published by the Times they said any information from year 12 and backwards would not be counted towards CAGs. So I wouldn't worry too much, although of course you should try your hardest to get to grips with the content. But if you're in year 12 don't worry too much about your AS's.

You never know, there might be some form of normality next year with students sitting actual exams.
Reply 13
Original post by bigrocks
I haven't personally sat AS's , however AS grades only count towards your predicted grades. In a recent news article published by the Times they said any information from year 12 and backwards would not be counted towards CAGs. So I wouldn't worry too much, although of course you should try your hardest to get to grips with the content. But if you're in year 12 don't worry too much about your AS's.

You never know, there might be some form of normality next year with students sitting actual exams.

Ah okay thats good news for me😅 thank you
Did you end up finding an exam centre that would provide you with CAGs by august? If so, which one is it? A lot of private candidates are going with tutorsandexams/ best tutors but I'm still researching and yet to decide which one to go with.
Reply 15
Original post by asdasdihpi
Did you end up finding an exam centre that would provide you with CAGs by august? If so, which one is it? A lot of private candidates are going with tutorsandexams/ best tutors but I'm still researching and yet to decide which one to go with.

I registered with tutors and exams today. As i have just made the payment I am not yet „in“ the centre, so I can’t tell you more about the procedure, as I am with Cambridge International and the released information from then is the most unclear bulls*** that I have ever heard. I still don’t know which evidence I have to provide and how is this gonna work

Quick Reply

Latest