student643
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I need to pick what I want to study for GCSE but I need advice on History, Business and R.E. I would really appreciate your advice. Thank you very much.
Last edited by student643; 4 days ago
username54
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi im in year 11 and these are my honest opinions about those subjects as i take them.
History- it can be interesting at times but i find it mainly boring. The tests arent difficult but just revise important dates and information. You should be fine
Business- its really easy for me and i enjoy it a lot. I would recommend this subject 100%
RE-again it isnt that bad, you just have to remember a lot of biblical quotes. There are some topics that can be seen as interesting, but its a okay subject for me
Hope this helped
student643
Rep:
?
(Original post by username54)
Hi im in year 11 and these are my honest opinions about those subjects as i take them.
History- it can be interesting at times but i find it mainly boring. The tests arent difficult but just revise important dates and information. You should be fine
Business- its really easy for me and i enjoy it a lot. I would recommend this subject 100%
RE-again it isnt that bad, you just have to remember a lot of biblical quotes. There are some topics that can be seen as interesting, but its a okay subject for me
Hope this helped
Thank you very much
Kiera.Smith
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by student643)
I need to pick what I want to study for GCSE but I need advice on History, Business and R.E. I would appreciate your advice. Thank you very much.
Hi!
I am currently a Y11 student and study all of these subjects.
Personally, History is one of my favourite subjects, but it is quite content heavy and involves a lot of essays and note-taking, so be prepared for quite a lot of writing. My advice to you would be to make sure that you enjoy/ are interested in the topics that you will be studying, otherwise, you will find the course extremely boring. However, I don't think it's as bad as people say, and it definitely gets easier once you get the hang of exam techniques etc.
Business is a good subject for keeping your options open and I would definitely say it is one of my easier subjects. The exam is more essay-based, but you will be fine as long as you know the content. Something that I was worried about before taking it, was the level of maths involved (I much prefer essays to maths/science) there are a few formulas, but nothing that is extremely hard.
Lastly, RE is compulsory at my school, so I didn't have the option not to take it, but even if it isn't compulsory, I would still totally recommend it. For half of the course, you study religions in-depth and learn about different cultures and views etc. which I find really interesting. For the other half of the course you look at issues such as abortion, the death penalty, euthanasia and look at religious responses to each of the issues. If you are interested in topics such as sociology and politics, then I think you will really enjoy RE, because you get to debate and evaluate different arguments.
I have applied to take RE and History for A level so I may be a bit biased but I hope that this helps!
student643
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kiera.Smith)
Hi!
I am currently a Y11 student and study all of these subjects.
Personally, History is one of my favourite subjects, but it is quite content heavy and involves a lot of essays and note-taking, so be prepared for quite a lot of writing. My advice to you would be to make sure that you enjoy/ are interested in the topics that you will be studying, otherwise, you will find the course extremely boring. However, I don't think it's as bad as people say, and it definitely gets easier once you get the hang of exam techniques etc.
Business is a good subject for keeping your options open and I would definitely say it is one of my easier subjects. The exam is more essay-based, but you will be fine as long as you know the content. Something that I was worried about before taking it, was the level of maths involved (I much prefer essays to maths/science) there are a few formulas, but nothing that is extremely hard.
Lastly, RE is compulsory at my school, so I didn't have the option not to take it, but even if it isn't compulsory, I would still totally recommend it. For half of the course, you study religions in-depth and learn about different cultures and views etc. which I find really interesting. For the other half of the course you look at issues such as abortion, the death penalty, euthanasia and look at religious responses to each of the issues. If you are interested in topics such as sociology and politics, then I think you will really enjoy RE, because you get to debate and evaluate different arguments.
I have applied to take RE and History for A level so I may be a bit biased but I hope that this helps!
Thank you very much I really appreciate your advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (482)
51.77%
No (449)
48.23%

Watched Threads