Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I just received my grades for first year uni assignments and I have honestly hoped for way better. I got roughly 58 -68 percent overall and I got 78 percent in one exam however it was 50 percent each and in the other one I got 58 which lowered my grade down to 68 overall. I don’t think uni is for me I give up idk what I’m doing wrong this one time I listened to advice on structure I ****ed up
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m aware grade percentages may vary by uni but as a general rule...
68% is a 2:1
You’re literally 2% off a first. That’s not bad at all. That’s amazing
You just have to get the idea that those percentages are bad out of your head. Uni grading is so different to what you’ve previously used. Don’t compare those percentages to what you had in school
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I just received my grades for first year uni assignments and I have honestly hoped for way better. I got roughly 58 -68 percent overall and I got 78 percent in one exam however it was 50 percent each and in the other one I got 58 which lowered my grade down to 68 overall. I don’t think uni is for me I give up idk what I’m doing wrong this one time I listened to advice on structure I ****ed up
Hey Anon! I totally agree with WantBeAnonymous here. I've been in a similar position in the past and it can be really frustrating when you don't do as well as you thought you had once you hand in the assignment though, so I get it The most important thing to try and do is be proactive and contact your tutor and ask what they need to see going forward to bump your grades up if you're not happy with them. Uni is a big learning curve as you become more independent, and adapt to new ways of doing things. You're learning how to apply and show off the content you're learning, as well as trying to grasp the actual content itself- it's a lot On top of all this you're doing most things (if not all) remotely at the moment - and getting the equivalent of a 2:1 is worth being proud of! You've done really well and it's not a muck up at all!

Don't rule yourself out, take this as a really good starting point you can continue to build on.

Take care,
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello!

You have done amazing overall, only 2% off a first! However, I know we can all relate to the situation when you hand in an assignment and think you have done well and don't do as well as you expect, so you aren't alone.

I would recommend emailing your unit leader to ask about the specifics for your course about how your year will be marked. For me, in my first and second year at uni, the lowest scoring module was removed and then the overall grade for the year was the average from the remaining five modules. This may be the case for you where your lowest scoring module is removed from your average. This helped my grade improve massively by removing the lowest scoring module!

I also recommend these two little steps that have helped me improve my mark by just a few marks
1- Look at the assessment guidelines and mark schemes
I always refer back to the mark schemes and what was recommended in the module's assessment guidelines. This way you know you're including what is required by your lecturer for the assignment! It can help keep you on track whilst writing assignments as well and makes sure you include all the basics required.

2- Study Support
I always email my work to my students study support team who can look over your work and help with how to structure your arguments, spelling and grammar errors etc. This can be a great way to not make any small errors, which can make all the difference in grading!

Well done again Sam- official student rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (79)
11.99%
Virtual campus tours/open days (160)
24.28%
Live streaming events (52)
7.89%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
8.95%
A uni comparison tool (153)
23.22%
An in-person event when available (156)
23.67%