The Student Room Group

graph of y=0^x

I understand why the graph looks the way it does for x= 1,2,3...., but when x=0 or -1 or -10, I don't understand why the graph looks like that. Please can someone explain this?
Also, 0^0 is 0 right? But my calc gives me a math error lol :/
also, why is 0^0 not 1?

Thank youuu xx :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Qxi.xli
I understand why the graph looks the way it does for x= 1,2,3...., but when x=0 or -1 or -10, I don't understand why the graph looks like that. Please can someone explain this?
Also, 0^0 is 0 right? But my calc gives me a math error lol :/
also, why is 0^0 not 1?

Thank youuu xx :smile:

0^0 is undefined, you get different values by considering it in different ways: x^0 or 0^x.
Reply 2
For 0^(-1) it's the same as 1/0? Which is?
Original post by B_9710

1/0 is undefined. An argument is made that its infinity but if you take the limit of 1/x as x->0 from both sides of the y axis, 1/x tends to infinity of x->0+ and tends to -infinity if x->0- and since these are not equal there is no limit/ it is undefined.
Reply 4
Original post by mxtt_helm
1/0 is undefined. An argument is made that its infinity but if you take the limit of 1/x as x->0 from both sides of the y axis, 1/x tends to infinity of x->0+ and tends to -infinity if x->0- and since these are not equal there is no limit/ it is undefined.

Yes
Original post by B_9710

i feel like this is a stupid question, but then why does it look like the 1/x graph or something which have asymptotes?
Original post by mxtt_helm

tyy xx
i have no idea what a limit is lol but i'll just remember that :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Qxi.xli
i feel like this is a stupid question, but then why does it look like the 1/x graph or something which have asymptotes?

tyy xx
i have no idea what a limit is lol but i'll just remember that :smile:

The graph of y=1/x will have a vertical asymptote at x=0.
If you plug numbers Into a calculator, so calculate when x=0.1, x=0.01, x=0.001,... You will as that the number keeps getting larger and larger and there is no limit. This shows that as you get closer to the x value 0 (at least from the positive direction) that the function gets larger and larger, so the y value keeps getting bigger and bigger I mean. That's why the graph looks the way it does near 0.

Quick Reply

Latest