?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Finasteride and Dutasteride saved my life
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've not heard of dutasteride. I'll look into it - thanks.
Skyrim
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
I've not heard of dutasteride. I'll look into it - thanks.
No problem Try Finasteride first though. No point using a stronger drug if you don't need to. Dutasteride is used off label for hair loss however it is not FDA approved for that purpose, it's more of a last resort sort of drug for people like me with very aggressive hair loss (started receding at 15).

These two drugs are the only things on the market that can halt or significantly slow hair loss. Minoxidil (marketed as Regaine in the UK) is a growth agent which will eventually lose effectiveness if you are not using either Finasteride or Dutasteride alongside it. Everything else is pretty much snake oil.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Skyrim)
No problem Try Finasteride first though. No point using a stronger drug if you don't need to. Dutasteride is used off label for hair loss however it is not FDA approved for that purpose, it's more of a last resort sort of drug for people like me with very aggressive hair loss (started receding at 15).

These two drugs are the only things on the market that can halt or significantly slow hair loss. Minoxidil (marketed as Regaine in the UK) is a growth agent which will eventually lose effectiveness if you are not using either Finasteride or Dutasteride alongside it. Everything else is pretty much snake oil.
I started taking finasteride on Saturday, I ordered it from SuperDrug - filled in a questionnaire and it was an automatic prescription, delivered to my house. I've also got Regaine as well from Amazon, I apply it at night time. The pharmacist told me it's something you have to take forever or it stops working eventually, so I'll probably just stop once I've tried this out for a month as it's gonna be pointless.
Skyrim
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
I started taking finasteride on Saturday, I ordered it from SuperDrug - filled in a questionnaire and it was an automatic prescription, delivered to my house. I've also got Regaine as well from Amazon, I apply it at night time. The pharmacist told me it's something you have to take forever or it stops working eventually, so I'll probably just stop once I've tried this out for a month as it's gonna be pointless.
Yes, it's something you must take forever. If you're fine with embracing it, more power to you. But if you do decide to continue Finasteride look at Dr. Fox or Oxford Online Pharmacy. Superdrug is an absolute ripoff in comparison. Best of luck.
EmberPlayer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Did you experience any side effects from either hair loss drug? Also did you consult your GP before starting them? If yes, what were their opinions?
kingpin x
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Did you realise the impact straightaway or did it take sometime? Also - thank you for sharing!
Skyrim
Rep:
?
(Original post by EmberPlayer)
Did you experience any side effects from either hair loss drug? Also did you consult your GP before starting them? If yes, what were their opinions?
Nope, no side effects. They are extremely rare, contrary to what the many hypochondriacs on hair loss forums would have you believe.

No, I did not discuss this with my GP before I started, main reason being I was very anxious at the time and embarrassed of wasting my GP's time over a cosmetic issue. Of course, for any one reading this do talk to your GP and don't self-medicate. Worked out great for me but typically isn't a bright idea.
Skyrim
Rep:
?
(Original post by kingpin x)
Did you realise the impact straightaway or did it take sometime? Also - thank you for sharing!
No problem. I noticed increased density and thickness after several months. I think I should further clarify though that these drugs are actually meant mainly for maintaining existing hair rather than regrowth. If they resulted in significant regrowth, they would be less obscure, a lot more men would be taking them and we would have essentially cured baldness for the most part.

When it comes to hair loss, prevention will always trump regrowth. The earlier you halt the problem, the less aggressive you need to be with treating it.
EmberPlayer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Skyrim)
Nope, no side effects. They are extremely rare, contrary to what the many hypochondriacs on hair loss forums would have you believe.

No, I did not discuss this with my GP before I started, main reason being I was very anxious at the time and embarrassed of wasting my GP's time over a cosmetic issue. Of course, for any one reading this do talk to your GP and don't self-medicate. Worked out great for me but typically isn't a bright idea.
In terms of the Norwood scale, how far gone was your hair loss before you started taking finasteride/Duasteride? What’s it now?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (44)
23.28%
Unhappy (53)
28.04%
Conflicted (92)
48.68%

Watched Threads