infamouBx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I do biology a level (OCR A), and quite a few people have told me that its a waste of time to write notes. I usually write notes, but they take so long, and i end up having little time to do cram the content and do exam questions.

So to anyone who doesn't write notes for their subjects, what do you do to revise/study instead?
username5613474
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by infamouBx)
I do biology a level (OCR A), and quite a few people have told me that its a waste of time to write notes. I usually write notes, but they take so long, and i end up having little time to do cram the content and do exam questions.

So to anyone who doesn't write notes for their subjects, what do you do to revise/study instead?
Flashcards, videos, listen to my teachers, practice
t.123987
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

I made notes, but they were summaries. They contained key info, and concepts that I found difficult. They didn’t take too long to make and I was able to do all the practice papers and mini tests before I sat the exam
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If they help you, yes.

There's a "right way" to make notes. Copying verbatim without understanding isn't really the way to go. What I generally do is read the textbook (/lecture notes at uni), process it, and try to write it in my own words. That way I make sure I understand it. I don't generally refer back to my notes, I would refer back to the textbook.
Emily5243
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
We usually got powerpoint slides printed out for us in biology and I would annotate extra information onto them. We didn't get those all the time, so when we didn't get them, I made my own notes in class as the teacher was talking and then used the notes, as well as the textbook to make resources like mind maps to summarise content and flashcards. I didn't really refer to my notes after that point. Once I felt like I had a good understanding of a topic, I would then do practice questions to revise mostly.
MusicalMe101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi, I'm in year 12 and I take biology.
All my classmates writes notes, though personally I prefer making flashcards that are based off of the specification and the knowledge I need. For example if it says 'student must know the definition of a monomer and list examples' then on one side I'd write 'what is a monomer? List some examples.' and the answer on the back. I use A6 flashcards and am able to fit several questions onto one. I find that it is easy to find any particular information I may be looking for later when I go through them and they are also interactive and easy to use to learn the content.

I hope this helps!
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

I used to hand write notes not because notes are great but it helps the information engage in your brain imo, it’s good method for learning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (632)
48.77%
No (664)
51.23%

Watched Threads