Dumbbell Rows

Watch
deadlift_noob
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
With Dumbbell rows does the grip of the weight target different muscles of the back? And if so which grips work what parts of the lats?
Kyri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
The grip you take doesn't in itself affect what part of the back is targeted. But the grip you hold can affect how much you will tend to flare your elbow out and that will affect the back muscles used.

A pronated (overhand) grip will probably make you flare your elbows out a bit more unless you really focus on not doing it, and that will target more upper back and some rear delts. A supinated (underhand) grip will probably keep elbows more tucked and hit lats more, as well as bringing more biceps into it. Saying that, most people (including me) do this exercise with a neutral grip which is fine. Just be mindful of elbow position based on what you want to focus on more.
deadlift_noob
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by Kyri)
The grip you take doesn't in itself affect what part of the back is targeted. But the grip you hold can affect how much you will tend to flare your elbow out and that will affect the back muscles used.

A pronated (overhand) grip will probably make you flare your elbows out a bit more unless you really focus on not doing it, and that will target more upper back and some rear delts. A supinated (underhand) grip will probably keep elbows more tucked and hit lats more, as well as bringing more biceps into it. Saying that, most people (including me) do this exercise with a neutral grip which is fine. Just be mindful of elbow position based on what you want to focus on more.
Thank you, completely forgot about elbow positioning too until you mentioned it thank you for the help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (231)
51.22%
No (220)
48.78%

Watched Threads