The Student Room Group

Buying a car before Uni

Is it worth it to buy a car when I’m off to uni in September? I passed my test in November so could drive it ASAP, but idk if the £2000 on the car and insurance will be worth it come September.
Are you staying in halls?
Reply 2
Are you thinking of talking it to uni? I think it depends on the uni and the course to be honest I would struggle without mine as it’s a rural campus, but I’ve heard a lot of uni either don’t allow parking or are quite expensive to park if it’s a city uni
I really want to go Uni of Sheffield, parking is around £130 near my accom but idk if I’ll use it much as Sheffield has alright public transport apparently.
Reply 4
Original post by Emilyroseee59
I really want to go Uni of Sheffield, parking is around £130 near my accom but idk if I’ll use it much as Sheffield has alright public transport apparently.

Have you looked at supermarkets near your accommodation, sometimes they can be useful for that if there’s not a bus stop close. Maybe look at the cost of a car usage compared to public transport
I'd be inclined to wait as the used car market is a sellers market for now. I've been window shopping for the last year and prices are all up. (Many thought the exact opposite would be true)

Deffo find out what the details of any uni parking policy/permit are, as they can be v sneaky/downright obstructive. The permit for mine costs about £100 per calendar year and takes a few months to process.... you can see the problem there. It's as if they are in someway obligated to provide the facility, but really don't want to.
Original post by Whoanon
Have you looked at supermarkets near your accommodation, sometimes they can be useful for that if there’s not a bus stop close. Maybe look at the cost of a car usage compared to public transport

Most of the ones I see stop you doing this now, ANPR scans you on the way in and you get fined if not out within 2 hours or so.
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
Most of the ones I see stop you doing this now, ANPR scans you on the way in and you get fined if not out within 2 hours or so.

I’m on about to go food shopping not for anything else
Original post by Whoanon
I’m on about to go food shopping not for anything else

They've asked about parking for uni, I'm not seeing how food shopping is related?.
Reply 9
Original post by StriderHort
They've asked about parking for uni, I'm not seeing how food shopping is related?.

Because they are debating if they want to get a car and how much they would use it to whether or not it’s worth it
I vote not worth it. You’ll end up being the driver all of the time and they’re expensive to keep up with
I didn't bother in my first year as parking in halls was expensive and parking in the residential streets around was very limited. In brought it with me for second and third year though as my house had good street parking in front and I almost always had a space right out in front.

I would 100% have regretted not having my car with me. It helped with my course (photojournalism) and we had so many adventures around South Wales because I had a car.
Aw so then do you recon I should wait until second year? I might get one beginning of summer after first year then bring it with me after that
I reckon you should wait until 2nd year, as it'll be more hassle bringing it whilst at in halls

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending