The Student Room Group

What to bring to uni?

Can anyone give me a list of top 10 things to bring to uni?
Save the student has a super helpful list of everything you should need (and stuff you don’t need to bring!!) but I can guess my top ten! I’m going to uni in September so I’m also interested in what other people say! I would say:

Laptop (and charger and case and stuff!)
Phone (and charger and stuff too!)
A really bad pan to make one pot wonders in
Really soft comfortable bedding
Nice stationary to make studying nicer for myself
A good set of sharp knives (I love to cook)
Good set of headphones
Washing baskets for storage and washing
My Polaroid camera
Loads of pukka pads!!
This is a non ending list

Pen and notebook
Phone charger
Clothes in case
Books
A positive mindset
A phone
Photo from home
Money
Confidence
Snacks like a protein bar
Energy drinks
Cooking equipment
Gym ball and so on
Medicine
First aid box
A smile
Common sense
A dictionary
Storybooks
Egg timer
A level headed mindset
Dry sense of humour
Art supplies
Baby wipes
Face cream
Lavender oil
A toy from home
Couple of cookbooks
A laptop
Skills like teamwork and the like
A trinket box
A diary
Hey Everyone!

Its great to see your suggestions!

I would suggest that when it comes to buying items for the kitchen e.g. pots, pans, utensils etc. that less is more! It is super common for everyone to turn up with 5 pans and dishes each and nowhere to put them or they don't get used!

So ... I would say two plates, bowls, mugs and cups each and one frying pan and one sauce pan! Its also good to get distinctive cutlery and plates so you know whats yours!

Antonia :h:
University of Liverpool Student Ambassador
Original post by liasyk

Hiya!

From my own experience, these are the key things I have used throughout my university journey!

1. Clothes
I found that the best way to pack for uni was to go through absolutely everything and ask myself if I would really need it! I would recommend packing a real mix of chill/lounge-wear/joggers , jeans/casual clothes, pjs, and going out/dressy clothes.

2. Make up/ toiletries/ skincare/ bath mat/ towels.

3. Basic kitchen/ living / bedding list (e.g. 2 plates, 1 pasta bowl, 1 cereal bowl, set of 4 cutlery, food containers, kitchen utensils, baking trays, cups, mugs, washing powder and detergent, bedding- duvet protector, pillow protector, pillows, duvet, sheets, laundry bag).

4. Slippers

5. Heated clothes horse/ stand up clothes dryer (similar to this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Home-So...a-869100995666).

6. Disposable camera
It's a really great thing to do to make some memories and can print off at the end of the term/ year!

7. Portable speaker
Can use for pres or just in your bedroom.

8. Door stop
My flatmates did too and we chose to leave our door open if we felt like inviting others in our flat to come in our rooms, using a 'open door policy'. It was just a nice and easier way to get to know my flatmates and would definitely recommend it especially if you're not very confident in going and talking to people. However, double check with your accommodation about fire door regulation's/ safety measures.

9. Things to decorate your room with!
Photo frames, soft furnishings, cacti, fake plants, fairy lights, lava lamp, bunting etc.

10. Have a random list of what you need on your phone as you'll always be thinking of things to add to it!

Best of luck! Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hiya!

From my own experience, these are the key things I have used throughout my university journey!

1. Clothes
I found that the best way to pack for uni was to go through absolutely everything and ask myself if I would really need it! I would recommend packing a real mix of chill/lounge-wear/joggers , jeans/casual clothes, pjs, and going out/dressy clothes.

2. Make up/ toiletries/ skincare/ bath mat/ towels.

3. Basic kitchen/ living / bedding list (e.g. 2 plates, 1 pasta bowl, 1 cereal bowl, set of 4 cutlery, food containers, kitchen utensils, baking trays, cups, mugs, washing powder and detergent, bedding- duvet protector, pillow protector, pillows, duvet, sheets, laundry bag).

4. Slippers

5. Heated clothes horse/ stand up clothes dryer (similar to this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Home-So...a-869100995666).

6. Disposable camera
It's a really great thing to do to make some memories and can print off at the end of the term/ year!

7. Portable speaker
Can use for pres or just in your bedroom.

8. Door stop
My flatmates did too and we chose to leave our door open if we felt like inviting others in our flat to come in our rooms, using a 'open door policy'. It was just a nice and easier way to get to know my flatmates and would definitely recommend it especially if you're not very confident in going and talking to people. However, double check with your accommodation about fire door regulation's/ safety measures.

9. Things to decorate your room with!
Photo frames, soft furnishings, cacti, fake plants, fairy lights, lava lamp, bunting etc.

10. Have a random list of what you need on your phone as you'll always be thinking of things to add to it!

Best of luck! Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Thank you so much this has really helped!!!
Original post by liasyk

Hey @liasyk

I made a list of what I was going to take to uni at the beginning of the summer, so it's good that you're starting to prepare now :smile: Make a list of the essentials you'll need, you may find this link helpful:

https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus...d/whattobring/

Little things I found useful were clothes hangers as these often aren't provided in halls. Also pack some extension cables as you can keep this next to your bed to plug in your laptop, phone charger etc. As @University of Portsmouth Student Rep mentioned a doorstop is useful for your bedroom door. I made my room more homely by hanging up pictures and a few little things I had on my desk like my lamp and pictures of family and friends.

Hope this helps :smile:

Melissa- Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending