Do I discuss my concerns of old placement feedback to my tutor

Watch
paperclip90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 18 hours ago
just received some feedback from my last placement that’s left me really upset. I was only there for 2 weeks all in all. I have anxiety and dyslexia and I disclosed this to my mentor. I said “oh I’m nervous” before teaching my very first lesson.

I then had the feedback report back from them now 3 months later at my new placement. Where I’ve really thrown myself in as much as I can and I’m in once a week teaching and doing as many online lessons as I can.

The report from my ex mentor who I thought would be kind. Really was not it started off with “he was nervous and he himself admitted this. We had limited time together but I think he will need a lot of support” I’m really annoyed because my support plan with dyslexia and anxiety was discussed in confidence.

My current placement co ordinator forwarded it to me. Shall I explain this to her as I must admit. I’m pretty disheartened. I’ve worked so hard at my new placement and I was only at my last for 3 weeks. Some more constitute feedback would’ve been better

What should I do
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 18 hours ago
(Original post by paperclip90)
just received some feedback from my last placement that’s left me really upset. I was only there for 2 weeks all in all. I have anxiety and dyslexia and I disclosed this to my mentor. I said “oh I’m nervous” before teaching my very first lesson.

I then had the feedback report back from them now 3 months later at my new placement. Where I’ve really thrown myself in as much as I can and I’m in once a week teaching and doing as many online lessons as I can.

The report from my ex mentor who I thought would be kind. Really was not it started off with “he was nervous and he himself admitted this. We had limited time together but I think he will need a lot of support” I’m really annoyed because my support plan with dyslexia and anxiety was discussed in confidence.

My current placement co ordinator forwarded it to me. Shall I explain this to her as I must admit. I’m pretty disheartened. I’ve worked so hard at my new placement and I was only at my last for 3 weeks. Some more constitute feedback would’ve been better

What should I do
I'm not sure if those comments are inappropriate - I would assume that if your mentor commented on it, the nervousness was perhaps noticeable when you were leading lessons? It doesn't seem like they've made any direct reference to your conversation about dyslexia or anxiety.

Though it's not necessarily the nicest thing to read about yourself, saying that somebody needs a lot of support isn't an insult. This year especially, lots of trainees will need more support than usual because they've missed out on school experience due to covid. Your mentor was probably just trying to ensure that you would get this support at your next placement.
paperclip90
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluebeetle)
I'm not sure if those comments are inappropriate - I would assume that if your mentor commented on it, the nervousness was perhaps noticeable when you were leading lessons? It doesn't seem like they've made any direct reference to your conversation about dyslexia or anxiety.

Though it's not necessarily the nicest thing to read about yourself, saying that somebody needs a lot of support isn't an insult. This year especially, lots of trainees will need more support than usual because they've missed out on school experience due to covid. Your mentor was probably just trying to ensure that you would get this support at your next placement.
I did send an email saying I was. Bit disheartened. But I have been doing xyz at my new school in order to build on it and that the nerves and processing were supposed to be a conversation we had in confidence
bluebeetle
Rep:
?
Report 18 hours ago
I did send an email saying I was. Bit disheartened. But I have been doing xyz at my new school in order to build on it and that the nerves and processing were supposed to be a conversation we had in confidence
I do think if the comments only went as far as you posted, just saying you felt nervous, then it's a normal sort of thing for your mentor to comment upon if they felt the nervousness was affecting your performance.

Best to focus now on your current placement anyway. It's funny you didn't receive your report straight away after your last placement, I'm sure your previous mentor understands that you've likely improved since then, but they have to make a judgement based on what they've seen.
paperclip90
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluebeetle)
I do think if the comments only went as far as you posted, just saying you felt nervous, then it's a normal sort of thing for your mentor to comment upon if they felt the nervousness was affecting your performance.

Best to focus now on your current placement anyway. It's funny you didn't receive your report straight away after your last placement, I'm sure your previous mentor understands that you've likely improved since then, but they have to make a judgement based on what they've seen.
The issue was they used a private convo to fill in the feedback which really isn’t fair. The support documentation discussion is for me to discuss my support action plan and what we can do. Me saying in nervous is hardly fair to use that in the feedback. No offence but 3 months later aswell. How does she even remember

I don’t feel I’m wrong for mentioning it as I just want my placement lead to know that since December I’m not still shy
bluebeetle
Rep:
?
Report 17 hours ago
The issue was they used a private convo to fill in the feedback which really isn’t fair. The support documentation discussion is for me to discuss my support action plan and what we can do. Me saying in nervous is hardly fair to use that in the feedback. No offence but 3 months later aswell. How does she even remember

I don’t feel I’m wrong for mentioning it as I just want my placement lead to know that since December I’m not still shy
Honestly, it's more than likely that your mentor didn't think about it as much as you are now. Clearly it's something that felt quite personal to you, but it's likely your mentor just had a general memory that you had mentioned being nervous, and forgot exactly what conversation you had said that in.

In teacher training, feedback of that sort is more to help you develop as a teacher, rather than as a judgement of you. At the end of the year, nobody will care what was on that first feedback form, so long as you've improved since then, which it sounds like you are doing. Your mentor saying you were nervous was likely just them trying to make sure you were supported with this issue on your next placement.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 46 minutes ago
Hi,
I would agree with all the previous responses- it is 3 months ago and you will have improved by now, I am sure and it sounds like you are doing the right things to improve. If it comes up in discussion with your new mentor- explained why you think it was written- I would advise you to just state the facts and the situation- avoid criticizing your previous mentor, this would be seen as unprofessional. You are learning to teach- it is quite a tough gig- do not be disheartened- take the comments onboard and move on. Starting in a new school is like a new start so embrace it!

Laure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (331)
31.7%
No (713)
68.3%

Watched Threads