The Student Room Group

Returning a laptop?

Sooo basically I used to have a chrome book, but for my uni course I need to be able to download SPSS. So, I bought the MacBook Air 2020 (just presuming that obviously I would be able to download software on this as it’s not a chrome book) anyway, I got the laptop today, tried downloading SPSS but only to find out this model of MacBook isn’t compatible with SPSS. Do you think I could return it? I’ve spent £1000 on this laptop and it doesn’t even do the thing I need....
Original post by bethanlxo
Sooo basically I used to have a chrome book, but for my uni course I need to be able to download SPSS. So, I bought the MacBook Air 2020 (just presuming that obviously I would be able to download software on this as it’s not a chrome book) anyway, I got the laptop today, tried downloading SPSS but only to find out this model of MacBook isn’t compatible with SPSS. Do you think I could return it? I’ve spent £1000 on this laptop and it doesn’t even do the thing I need....

Check the returns policy for the website you got it from. There should be information on returns on the confirmation emails and terms & conditions of the purchase.

By all accounts the MacOS version of SPSS runs fine on the 2020 MacBooks via Rosetta, IBM have confirmed as much.

https://community.ibm.com/community/user/datascience/blogs/todd-peterson1/2020/11/20/spss-statistics-on-macos-big-sur-110

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple_silicon/about_the_rosetta_translation_environment
Reply 3
Oh I haven’t seen these. Every time I try to download it and install the SPSS installer it just tells me that “libjvm.dylib” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. I think it’s something to do with Apple not allowing me to download apps from ‘unidentified developers’ I don’t know how to get around it
Oh I haven’t seen these. Every time I try to download it and install the SPSS installer it just tells me that “libjvm.dylib” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. I think it’s something to do with Apple not allowing me to download apps from ‘unidentified developers’ I don’t know how to get around it

Have you tried right clicking the installer then installing, I think you have your mac on default security settings, you can either right click & confirm or change this setting.
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
Have you tried right clicking the installer then installing, I think you have your mac on default security settings, you can either right click & confirm or change this setting.

Yeah I’ve tried that and it’s saying the same thing. How can I change the setting do you know ?
Yeah I’ve tried that and it’s saying the same thing. How can I change the setting do you know ?

Hmm normally if you right click open it gives you a slightly different message.

Have a play with settings & system preferences I can’t remember exactly, if not google it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending