revising without an ounce of motivation

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
i have 2 weeks left until my exams and at this point i can't bring myself to do anything with my degree. im still being set essays etc so i have to force myself to do that first and have no energy left for revision.

i'd be lucky to pass at this point. whenever i try and revise it's like there is something physically blocking any information going into my brain (probably the stress). i have pages and pages of lecture notes but half of them don't even make sense or don't have enough info. one of my exams is an essay exam so this is the one im most worried about.

what should i do?
kitapizza28
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i have 2 weeks left until my exams and at this point i can't bring myself to do anything with my degree. im still being set essays etc so i have to force myself to do that first and have no energy left for revision.

i'd be lucky to pass at this point. whenever i try and revise it's like there is something physically blocking any information going into my brain (probably the stress). i have pages and pages of lecture notes but half of them don't even make sense or don't have enough info. one of my exams is an essay exam so this is the one im most worried about.

what should i do?
*I'm not in degree level, but sixth form and have the same problems with lack of motivation.

I found that 'pretending' I'm in lessons during my study periods really does help. As for your lecture notes, have you asked your lecturer for any help, or asked someone in one of your classes (could create study groups during the week-I've heard they're useful in some uni's), but it really depends if you prefer to revise independently or with others.

Random advice: I've watched revision videos recently & the best way to revise is to create mind maps etc (I don't know what uni work is like though) & revise before you go to bed because you're supposed to remember the information more easily.

I don't know if that's any help, but they're just my top tips.
*Best to just listen to the uni student reps-better advice.
Last edited by kitapizza28; 1 week ago
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

what should i do?
Hey!

It can be super hard to motivate yourself to work through essays and revise for exams.

My advice would be to break it down into manageable chunks so you feel accomplished when you complete each chunk which should motivate you to keep going!

When I revise for my essay exams I tend to make very generic essay plans so that they can be adapted to whatever questions may come up and then I learn the plans with any key stats, quotes and references.

If you are getting stressed, it may be useful for you to take a step back and plan how you are going to achieve your workload. Don't be too hard on yourself, this is a very difficult time to be completing uni work and the courses won't be so highly regarded if they were easy!

Keep going, i'm sure you're doing great!

Antonia
University of Liverpool Student Ambassador
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

what should i do?
Hiya!

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling this way

I would recommend emailing your personal tutor to explain how you are feeling as they can provide some advice and may recommend applying for an ECF.

I would write down all that you need to cover/ assignments/ exams due soon. Then you can prioritise your work in terms of what is due first. You can break it into chunks and write each day what you need to do. It's very satisfying to tick off each day what you have done! I find this works best for me and hope organising your time does too

Sam- Official Student Rep
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

what should i do?
Hi Anonymous

Sorry to hear that you’re struggling  I've tried to keep to the same routine that I've had pre-pandemic. I plan a week in advance in my diary so I know what deadlines I've got coming up and I make small lists for each day too. This helps me see what I've managed to do, even though sometimes I don't get everything on my list finished. I usually take an hour out for lunch and go for a walk to get a change of scenery. Then just break the rest of my revision up by having short breaks throughout the day to catch up on some tv.

Have you spoken to your lecturers or personal tutor about how you’re feeling? They will support you as much as they can and could offer you guidance on getting extensions for your course work. Our lecture and webcasts transcripts are posted online, you could always ask your lecturer to post these so you can go over them again?

Set small goals and reward yourself for the work you finish. This could be anything you like doing e.g. eating some cake or watching half an hour of a tv show

Melissa- Student Ambassador
Last edited by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (79)
11.99%
Virtual campus tours/open days (160)
24.28%
Live streaming events (52)
7.89%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (59)
8.95%
A uni comparison tool (153)
23.22%
An in-person event when available (156)
23.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise