H Millington
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've sent my application to the John Locke Institute today and I'm excited to get a response, however, I'm quite nervous about the interview if I get one... Has anyone else been through the interview process or JLI, what is it like? I think they're run by/with Oxford university so if anyone has been through an Oxford interview what was your experience?

What can I expect from this interview?
Dilara22
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by H Millington)
I've sent my application to the John Locke Institute today and I'm excited to get a response, however, I'm quite nervous about the interview if I get one... Has anyone else been through the interview process or JLI, what is it like? I think they're run by/with Oxford university so if anyone has been through an Oxford interview what was your experience?

What can I expect from this interview?
I've sent in my application yesterday. Did you apply for PPE? Have you gotten a response yet?
H Millington
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Dilara22)
I've sent in my application yesterday. Did you apply for PPE? Have you gotten a response yet?
Hi! I sat my interview last night and it went really well! They got back to me after two days when I sent in my application to let me know if I had an interview or not. (So, if you sent in your application on Sunday you'll likely hear back from them today or tomorrow!) I haven't applied for a specific course but I'll likely be going to Radley, so we won't be on the same course
jamesfarr22
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by H Millington)
Hi! I sat my interview last night and it went really well! They got back to me after two days when I sent in my application to let me know if I had an interview or not. (So, if you sent in your application on Sunday you'll likely hear back from them today or tomorrow!) I haven't applied for a specific course but I'll likely be going to Radley, so we won't be on the same course
What was your interview like?
Abby_y
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi! I also received the notification of interview last night and I am kinda nervous right now...
Will the interview be hard or super selective? Will professor(s) keep pressing on your argument? And what topics/prompts should I expect?
H Millington
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by jamesfarr22)
What was your interview like?
Hi! I did my interview the other day and I actually really enjoyed it. You don't need to save up loads of facts! I am passionate about politics so that came up in the interview but I wasn't being quizzed on general knowledge or anything like that, it was really informal and relaxed and most of the questions were just about my general opinions. Contrary to what most people seem to be saying, the interview was not an aggressive debate, it was a really calm discussion and the person interviewing me was really nice. Just make sure you do have some real opinions that you have a good reason behind, you will be asked to explain your opinion if you give one so try to avoid just having dull, vague standpoints. (i.e "I feel passionate about global warming" "Why?" "I don't want to die." would be quite vague and not well-explained.) I would still just maybe read a few things related to PPE, if you're asked to share a thought or opinion then it would be a good idea to keep it about either politics, philosophy or economics.
H Millington
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Abby_y)
Hi! I also received the notification of interview last night and I am kinda nervous right now...
Will the interview be hard or super selective? Will professor(s) keep pressing on your argument? And what topics/prompts should I expect?
I think I may have responded to you on a different post so I'll copy and paste the response I gave to the others I did my interview the other day and I actually really enjoyed it. You don't need to save up loads of facts! I am passionate about politics so that came up in the interview but I wasn't being quizzed on general knowledge or anything like that, it was really informal and relaxed and most of the questions were just about my general opinions. Contrary to what most people seem to be saying, the interview was not an aggressive debate, it was a really calm discussion and the person interviewing me was really nice. Just make sure you do have some real opinions that you have a good reason behind, you will be asked to explain your opinion if you give one so try to avoid just having dull, vague standpoints. (i.e "I feel passionate about global warming" "Why?" "I don't want to die." would be quite vague and not well-explained.) Also, if you're doing PPE, I would still just maybe read a few things related to it, if you're asked to share a thought or opinion then it would be a good idea to keep it about either politics, philosophy or economics. (Same goes for the other course!)

Good luck! (Given how you're conscious enough about it to come here, ask questions and try and get some research done on it I'm sure you'll do brilliantly!) Maybe I'll see you there? xx
discodaydream
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi! I had my interview the other day too and it was great! Have you officially heard back from Marie Loubeyre on whether or not you've got a place? (:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (73)
12.09%
Virtual campus tours/open days (147)
24.34%
Live streaming events (51)
8.44%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.11%
A uni comparison tool (141)
23.34%
An in-person event when available (137)
22.68%