I regret inviting family to virtual graduationi

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
My family never supported my education, whatever I got grades for anything, my mum was always like 'you could have done better'. They never supported me in going to university. When I told my mum I wanted to go she said why do you want to go uni? You're too dumb to go, uni is for clever people. I believed cos I was never clever at school, my grades were rubbish. At college I did better, my grades were good. When I got into uni, my family never said anything, I think they were in disbelief like how the hell did she get into uni? and at one point my mum tried to get me to quit and get a job instead to pay the rent. I didn't listen. I continued with uni. I didn't go to my graduation on my BA because I'm an introvert and would have hated being around so many people (this was before covid) I went on to do a masters and recently had my virtual graduation which I attended. I stupidly invited my family to attend. The ceremony was on the university YouTube channel. I told my family about it on the day like 2 hours before. I regret it now, I'm not sure if they watched it cos there were a few ceremonies taking place at the same time and I never told them my course name but they must have had an idea as they knew the name of my BA course and I never asked them if they watched it and they never said anything. Regretting it so bad if they did watch it cos they never supported me and I wasn't planning on inviting them. I don't know why I did. It was my achievement and I didn't want to share it with anyone and now that is ruined. At least they don't know my grades, I never told them and never will and my name never showed up on the screen during the ceremony if they did watch the right one cos I didn't want my details shared. I just wish I'd never invited them, I don't know why I did. I don't plan on going to the in person ceremony when large gatherings are allowed again as it will be recorded and put on YouTube as it always is so if I attended then my family would remember where to find it and would watch it cos they're probably keeping an eye on the YouTube channel now. I hate this, I will always regret inviting my family, they didn't deserve to be invited when they never supported me.

My sibling went to uni but didn't last the first semester and quit. My mum made a big deal out of it, she was like 'you were doing so well, why did you quit? My other sibling applied for uni but never started the course so I'm the only child to have completed uni but no one cares. If my other sibling had completed uni, my mum would be so proud but she doesn't care that I have.

I don't care, I'm proud of myself. I never thought I would ever get into university let alone graduate and I have twice. I did a masters which is even more shocking.

Ugh I'm always going to be kicking myself over this. Why the hell did I invited them? I regretted it he moment I did it but it was too late by then as I already told them how to watch it. I don't want to ask them if they watched it or not because then I'll be reminded and feel even worse for inviting them.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Supposed to be graduation not graduationi in title
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My family never supported my education, whatever I got grades for anything, my mum was always like 'you could have done better'. They never supported me in going to university. When I told my mum I wanted to go she said why do you want to go uni? You're too dumb to go, uni is for clever people. I believed cos I was never clever at school, my grades were rubbish. At college I did better, my grades were good. When I got into uni, my family never said anything, I think they were in disbelief like how the hell did she get into uni? and at one point my mum tried to get me to quit and get a job instead to pay the rent. I didn't listen. I continued with uni. I didn't go to my graduation on my BA because I'm an introvert and would have hated being around so many people (this was before covid) I went on to do a masters and recently had my virtual graduation which I attended. I stupidly invited my family to attend. The ceremony was on the university YouTube channel. I told my family about it on the day like 2 hours before. I regret it now, I'm not sure if they watched it cos there were a few ceremonies taking place at the same time and I never told them my course name but they must have had an idea as they knew the name of my BA course and I never asked them if they watched it and they never said anything. Regretting it so bad if they did watch it cos they never supported me and I wasn't planning on inviting them. I don't know why I did. It was my achievement and I didn't want to share it with anyone and now that is ruined. At least they don't know my grades, I never told them and never will and my name never showed up on the screen during the ceremony if they did watch the right one cos I didn't want my details shared. I just wish I'd never invited them, I don't know why I did. I don't plan on going to the in person ceremony when large gatherings are allowed again as it will be recorded and put on YouTube as it always is so if I attended then my family would remember where to find it and would watch it cos they're probably keeping an eye on the YouTube channel now. I hate this, I will always regret inviting my family, they didn't deserve to be invited when they never supported me.

My sibling went to uni but didn't last the first semester and quit. My mum made a big deal out of it, she was like 'you were doing so well, why did you quit? My other sibling applied for uni but never started the course so I'm the only child to have completed uni but no one cares. If my other sibling had completed uni, my mum would be so proud but she doesn't care that I have.

I don't care, I'm proud of myself. I never thought I would ever get into university let alone graduate and I have twice. I did a masters which is even more shocking.

Ugh I'm always going to be kicking myself over this. Why the hell did I invited them? I regretted it he moment I did it but it was too late by then as I already told them how to watch it. I don't want to ask them if they watched it or not because then I'll be reminded and feel even worse for inviting them.
I skimmed this post, but I think it’s nice you shared your graduation.

Frankly it’s awful that you don’t even know if they watched; your family should be celebrating the occasion with you. It shouldn’t be up to you to make them aware of this they should want to celebrate and be proud of you.

It’s kind of hard to know from my perspective if they are just ignorant as to what graduation is or are simply ambivalent.

Either way, don’t regret sharing it. You should be proud of what you achieved. You extended the courtesy of an invite & your family should use that to proactively celebrate.
You made the opportunity its them who should regret not engaging further not you.

Congrats on your degrees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (633)
48.69%
No (667)
51.31%

Watched Threads