Essay Tips: Can't seem to get any higher than 70.

Watch
bethgirl0097
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hello there,

I am just after some advice. I am in my last year of university and for my grades this year I was aiming for over 80's. However, I just can't seem to get above a 73 at the moment, I have had an 80 before and when comparing the essays, there is nothing different in the style, the references, the content, critical analysis, etc.

it is really frustrating as I would really like to secure a first, but I just can't seem to get past the 73 mark!

Any useful hints or tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
show me your essay
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by bethgirl0097)
Hello there,

I am just after some advice. I am in my last year of university and for my grades this year I was aiming for over 80's. However, I just can't seem to get above a 73 at the moment, I have had an 80 before and when comparing the essays, there is nothing different in the style, the references, the content, critical analysis, etc.

it is really frustrating as I would really like to secure a first, but I just can't seem to get past the 73 mark!

Hi!

Each year at university will get harder, this may be in terms of the content or the marking.

Each module and assignment requirements are different but I would suggest having meetings with your module leaders and discuss with them how you could improve. Perhaps you need to be more critical or observe other perspectives etc. so try not to be too rigid in your writing technique. Whilst how you were writing was working amazingly well for you last year, perhaps this year you need to take it to the next level, so allow yourself to be flexible to feedback!

However, 73 is an amazing grade and you should be very proud of that! Whilst it is important to seek out how to improve, it is also important to acknowledge what you are achieving is very impressive!

I hope this helps.

Antonia
University of Liverpool Student Ambassador
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by bethgirl0097)
Hello there,

What matters is comparing the marks relative to the assignment brief and marking criteria, not just assignment to assignment.

But focus on the details of what is asked for, be critical of your work. Once you've completed it double back and ask yourself how you could improve it before submission.
bethgirl0097
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep)
Hi!

Each year at university will get harder, this may be in terms of the content or the marking.

Each module and assignment requirements are different but I would suggest having meetings with your module leaders and discuss with them how you could improve. Perhaps you need to be more critical or observe other perspectives etc. so try not to be too rigid in your writing technique. Whilst how you were writing was working amazingly well for you last year, perhaps this year you need to take it to the next level, so allow yourself to be flexible to feedback!

However, 73 is an amazing grade and you should be very proud of that! Whilst it is important to seek out how to improve, it is also important to acknowledge what you are achieving is very impressive!

I hope this helps.

Antonia
University of Liverpool Student Ambassador
Hello there Antonia,

Thank you so much for your lovely comment, it's nice to hear that I am still getting good grades

I definitely will speak to my lecturers and have a meeting about my writing style, as i would really like to get a high grade in my dissertation

This has helped so much, thank you so much!

Bethany
bethgirl0097
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
What matters is comparing the marks relative to the assignment brief and marking criteria, not just assignment to assignment.

But focus on the details of what is asked for, be critical of your work. Once you've completed it double back and ask yourself how you could improve it before submission.
Thank you so much, I will do this!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (428)
51.63%
No (401)
48.37%

Watched Threads