The Student Room Group

Still can't find a summer intership

My situation:

Education: Final year of Business Degree, Confirmed MSc Finance & Business for 2021/22

Experience: 1 year Industrial placement in Data Analytics, 3 virtual internships in investment banking, 5 years customer service roles (Tesco's, restaurants, fast food...)

But I can't find a summer internship, with a list of applications going over 120 now.

I am looking into investment banking, finance or business analytics.

Rejection after rejection and I feel like I am running out of time now, and a summer working in a bar or supermarket is such a depressing thought.

Is it too late to get a place, as it seems all applications have closed and the 100+ ones I have applied to have moved onto the next stage.

Finishing a MSc with one professional experience under my belt seems a recipe for disaster, as if I can't get a summer internship i highly doubt I can get a graduate role...
I am so sorry to hear that. I believe the market is so crowded now with many students looking for jobs due to COVID so perhaps companies limit their spots for the very best. I also do think it is too late to apply for summer placements. Even the placements in September are closed if I'm not wrong.

A few factors to consider/do:

- Analyse the rejection letters and try to see where the problem lies.
- Have you had your CV looked at by your university? Most universities have a team for this sort of thing.
- How good are your grades? As sensitive as this is, you need to have a first/distinction with relevant experience to show for to at least get put on hold.
- Try CV Help (A private forum on TSR) to get their thoughts on your CV.
- Are you an international or UK student? Most companies can be reluctant to sponsor international students in these unprecedented times.

Quick Reply