tealopal
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I am so confused about maintenance loans. I did the calculator for the loan and it says that I would roughly get £8000. What I am confused about is how that gets paid. Do I get £8000 a term or do I get £8000 for the whole year.

Please reply
Thank you
Jessica03
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You get £8000 the whole year but it’s paid in instalments, normally at the start of each term
marple
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by tealopal)
I am so confused about maintenance loans. I did the calculator for the loan and it says that I would roughly get £8000. What I am confused about is how that gets paid. Do I get £8000 a term or do I get £8000 for the whole year.

Please reply
Thank you
It will be paid directly into your bank account and, as Jessica said, if you are entitled to £8000 that is for the whole year and will be split into 3 instalments paid at the beginning of each term. Tuition fees are paid directly to your university, again in 3 instalments.
Uni_Student321
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Just to add, the 3 instalments may not be equal. My last instalment is a few hundred pounds more than the other two (I'm on the lowest loan for studying outside of London and away from home).
dykeon1c
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by tealopal)

Please reply
Thank you
From what I've heard the loan payments are in Sept/Jan/April - your overall loan is divided into three portions. The last loan of the year is designed to be more money than the first two, which is meant to give you some help over the summer.
I've heard some stories about people getting loans late if they miss the deadline, so be sure to apply as soon as possible
Uni_Student321
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by dykeon1c)
From what I've heard the loan payments are in Sept/Jan/April - your overall loan is divided into three portions. The last loan of the year is designed to be more money than the first two, which is meant to give you some help over the summer.
Is the loan in the last year smaller than the rest because of this? I'm fairly sure SFE don't think students need help in the summer after they leave so the last year loan is smaller.
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Uni_Student321)
Is the loan in the last year smaller than the rest because of this? I'm fairly sure SFE don't think students need help in the summer after they leave so the last year loan is smaller.
Final year funding is less as SFe only pay up until the end of term instead of over the summer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (607)
49.19%
No (627)
50.81%

Watched Threads