Should I take a level law if I’m studying law in university?

Watch
Hailey629
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi basically in some of the sixth forms that offer the main combination I want which is politics ( and government) , English either combined or literature and sociology some I’ve found also offer law a levels and I know it’s not a requirement to study if you want to Perdue a career in law. However I was wondering if theirs any benefits and if it would decrease or increase my chance in getting into top universities like Cambridge and other top unis? My main university that I’m aiming to get into is Cambridge and by taking law would this decrease or increase or have no affect on whether I get chosen to get into the uni.
jamiee2004
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think it would decrease it because it’s a soft subject but not decrease it a lot I think they just prefer history or the harder ones
Hugh's Swan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Won’t have much effect, to try for a top uni it is best to go for the more academic subjects like history or english, geography or a language, politics would also be ok but law is seen as a bit soft. To get into oxford or cambridge you need excellent gcse results as well.
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I could argue no because it’s not necessary and in some ways it’s counterproductive. You’re potentially going to have to relearn or even unlearn aspects of A level law in your first or second year at university. Start with a broad base at A level and taper upwards at university. Gain a good grounding in skills and have a broad base of knowledge to draw on and it’ll be more sustaining in the long run than A level law.
But I could see an argument for really testing your commitment to the subject by doing law alongside two other strong subjects and making sure it’s the right decision for you. But there are potentially other ways of gaining that insight through work experience and volunteering which may be more valuable to you. Remember that you don’t actually need a law degree to become a lawyer in this country so don’t let the subject become your sole litmus test for the profession. A level law may even put you off unduly so tread carefully there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (75)
11.9%
Virtual campus tours/open days (153)
24.29%
Live streaming events (51)
8.1%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (58)
9.21%
A uni comparison tool (146)
23.17%
An in-person event when available (147)
23.33%