Opening a bank account with CIFAS marker.

Watch this thread
warna93
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've recently been marked for CIFAS, where I was scammed by someone who used my account, which resulted the bank x to close my basic account. My life has turned upside down as I’m a university student at second year, I have no understanding or any clue what to expect in the next month or so. At the moment the bank has declared through phone that I will be marked and added to the CIFAS database. Did check my credit report, where it implies that bank will update at 10th next month, so no CIFAS data at the moment.

Student account, Student Finance, tuition fees and maintenance loan:
On top of that, I’ve read articles implying that CIFAS marker will close all major high street banks where my student account is one of them(HSBC). Coming May, Student Finance will pay the tuition fees to my university, but not sure if that’s possible if HSBC closes the student account due to CIFAS.

Current application:
Even Though, I have applied to Nationwide, Monzo, and Card one banks. The bank Nationwide is a major high street bank where I have read articles that they close the accounts after being notified by CIFAS marker, even if the marker was initiated from another bank. Although like I said the banks x has still not updated about the CIFAS marker. Fortunately, I was notified that my Nationwide account was successfully created today, yet I am not sure whether if they will close my account when they see my CIFAS marker present when credit report is updates. Still waiting for Monzo and Card one…

My question:
If there is anyone who can relate to me about being scammed and marked by CIFAS or anyone who can offer me any advice regarding opening a bank with a CIFAS marker – did the new bank close your account or are they still open? Do they check CIFAS? – Please reach back to me because I’m clueless and in despair.

Any help appreciated.
Emran_hh
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Well this happened to me. I’m 16 I had a Lloyds card and a monzo and someone told me to put money in my monzo and transfer it to my Lloyds this lead to both my accounts being closed. After that I applied to basically every bank and they all rejected then like like week Santander accepted me and just got a call today saying they’ve closed my account coz of a cifas marker. So here I am trying to find out which bank account I can open
Dcosta20
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emran_hh)
Well this happened to me. I’m 16 I had a Lloyds card and a monzo and someone told me to put money in my monzo and transfer it to my Lloyds this lead to both my accounts being closed. After that I applied to basically every bank and they all rejected then like like week Santander accepted me and just got a call today saying they’ve closed my account coz of a cifas marker. So here I am trying to find out which bank account I can open
You can try suits me bank, they don’t do any check
Jinyarf123
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I don’t know why people are freaking out about cifas markers. They aren’t a criminal record, cannot be detected on dbs and it clears in 6 years. After the 6 years just promise yourself not to give away bank details ever again...
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jinyarf123)
I don’t know why people are freaking out about cifas markers. They aren’t a criminal record, cannot be detected on dbs and it clears in 6 years. After the 6 years just promise yourself not to give away bank details ever again...
Getting a bank account will be difficult; receiving money will be difficult; renting a property will be difficult; getting a phone contract will be difficult; many regulated industries will not employ you; getting car insurance will be difficult; no car finance; no mortgage; no credit cards; nowhere to reliably store your money; and the list goes on. Lots of anecdotes about it on this forum.
Last edited by RedGiant; 1 year ago
Jinyarf123
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RedGiant)
Getting a bank account will be difficult; receiving money will be difficult; renting a property will be difficult; getting a phone contract will be difficult; many regulated professional bodies will not accept you; getting car insurance will be difficult; no car finance; no mortgage; no credit cards; nowhere to reliably store your money; and the list goes on. Lots of anecdotes about it on this forum.
it erases in 6 years. for the meantime you can go credit union if you are struggling to open a bank account. after the 6 years you won’t have to worry about it again... people are acting like it’s a death sentence.
Jinyarf123
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Getting a bank account will be difficult; receiving money will be difficult; renting a property will be difficult; getting a phone contract will be difficult; many regulated professional bodies will not accept you; getting car insurance will be difficult; no car finance; no mortgage; no credit cards; nowhere to reliably store your money; and the list goes on. Lots of anecdotes about it on this forum.
stop creating a stigma against it when you know it’s not that serious...
struggler07
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emran_hh)
Get a prepaid card or go credit union
botev1912
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
cashplus..its 10 quid a month tho. Monzo use to be good but they check for cifas now. they will be closing my account soon.
struggler07
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by botev1912)
cashplus..its 10 quid a month tho. Monzo use to be good but they check for cifas now. they will be closing my account soon.
Better £10 a month then not have a account
Jayr8777
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I was working with someone in 2019 who on his last day before leaving my work and moving down South to a new job in Kent told me he'd lost his card, and asked if he could send £300 online for me to withdraw so he had cash for the few days whilst waiting for a new card to be send to his new address in Kent....
I said yes and he sent me the money which i withdrew and handed straight to him.

4 days later i went to the cash machine and it swallowed my card and showed a message 'please contact your banking provider'.... I rang Santander and this guy once safely in Kent with no trace had rang his bank telling them he sent money online to someone for concert tickets and was a victim of fraud as he never recieved them!
I had to provide evidence that my side of the story was true but it was just a face to face conversation over a pint onced we'd finished that night so i had none, & despite there being no way he had proof of his 'concert ticket' story as it was completely made up, Santander closed my account anyway and put a Cifas on my name!

I then opened a Monzo account shortly after and have had no issues until last month when they spontaneously messaged me saying they are closing my account on 10th April 2021 after using it for roughly 18 months (guess Monzo have just started checking Cifas in 2021)Now i have no active account, have been rejected for every type of high street basic account and I'm in a pickle. I've tried to contact Cifas to find out exactly what is marked on my name but I'm waiting for proof of address as I've recently moved. Once i have this information i can speak to a lawyer and look at possibly having the mark removed. But until then I'm in a similar situation in which i need a account soley to get wages paid into. If anyone can help it would be appreciated?
Last edited by Jayr8777; 1 year ago
struggler07
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jayr8777)
I was working with someone in 2019 who on his last day before leaving my work and moving down South to a new job in Kent told me he'd lost his card, and asked if he could send £300 online for me to withdraw so he had cash for the few days whilst waiting for a new card to be send to his new address in Kent....
I said yes and he sent me the money which i withdrew and handed straight to him.

4 days later i went to the cash machine and it swallowed my card and showed a message 'please contact your banking provider'.... I rang Santander and this guy once safely in Kent with no trace had rang his bank telling them he sent money online to someone for concert tickets and was a victim of fraud as he never recieved them!
I had to provide evidence that my side of the story was true but it was just a face to face conversation over a pint onced we'd finished that night so i had none, & despite there being no way he had proof of his 'concert ticket' story as it was completely made up, Santander closed my account anyway and put a Cifas on my name!

I then opened a Monzo account shortly after and have had no issues until last month when they spontaneously messaged me saying they are closing my account on 10th April 2021 after using it for roughly 18 months (guess Monzo have just started checking Cifas in 2021)Now i have no active account, have been rejected for every type of high street basic account and I'm in a pickle. I've tried to contact Cifas to find out exactly what is marked on my name but I'm waiting for proof of address as I've recently moved. Once i have this information i can speak to a lawyer and look at possibly having the mark removed. But until then I'm in a similar situation in which i need a account soley to get wages paid into. If anyone can help it would be appreciated?
Defo get a prepaid card or use someone else for 6 years till the cifas marker goes
hhk999
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Has anyone managed to
Open a bank account?
struggler07
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hhk999)
Has anyone managed to
Open a bank account?
I did this was in 2013 had to literally beg Barclays they managed to do a basic account all the other banks was turning me down back then
hotgirl10101
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jinyarf123)
it erases in 6 years. for the meantime you can go credit union if you are struggling to open a bank account. after the 6 years you won’t have to worry about it again... people are acting like it’s a death sentence.
Getting a bank account will be difficult; receiving money will be difficult; renting a property will be difficult; getting a phone contract will be difficult; many regulated industries will not employ you; getting car insurance will be difficult; no car finance; no mortgage; no credit cards; nowhere to reliably store your money; and the list goes on. Lots of anecdotes about it on this forum.
Is this for the rest of my life or just the six years where the marker is still on? Thanks.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hotgirl10101)
Is this for the rest of my life or just the six years where the marker is still on? Thanks.
Just those 6, but it can be a grind to rebuild your credit afterwards.
hotgirl10101
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by botev1912)
Hello, how do you know they will be closing your account down. Thanks
hotgirl10101
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Just those 6, but it can be a grind to rebuild your credit afterwards.
Thanks. so after these six years I will be able to open up a High Street bank get car insurance a mortgage and a credit card?. i’m really scared I’ve ruined my life forever.
my account with HSBC got closed down two years ago and I’ve been using Monzo for now. The bank never told me that I have a marker on my name so I just assumed that I did since my account is closed. I want to try and open another High Street bank but I’m scared that if I do have a marker they will alert Monzo. any advice ?
and is it possible for me to check if I have the marker and to remove it.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks. so after these six years I will be able to open up a High Street bank get car insurance a mortgage and a credit card?. i’m really scared I’ve ruined my life forever.
my account with HSBC got closed down two years ago and I’ve been using Monzo for now. The bank never told me that I have a marker on my name so I just assumed that I did since my account is closed. I want to try and open another High Street bank but I’m scared that if I do have a marker they will alert Monzo. any advice ?
and is it possible for me to check if I have the marker and to remove it.
in reverse order.

You need to submit a Subject Access Request to CIFAS themselves, plenty of guides on Google for that and they are the only people who will confirm it, (your bank aren't allowed to discuss it with you and will generally fob you off if asked, other banks won't know for sure either but their systems will basically just auto decline you, they won't know exactly why. It is highly unlikely you can have it removed, esp 2 years later.

Monzo are a member of CIFAS, but I don't think applying to another bank would give Monzo any information they didn't already have, they are starting to take action against account holders with CIFAS though, they might close it tomorrow, they might close it never. *shrug*

But yeah in 6 years that warning mark goes away and banks they will consider you as any other customer. I know it seems like forever but mine is long behind me now, my credit isn't great, but i have overdrafts, high street credit cards etc.
Last edited by StriderHort; 1 year ago
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
6 years only (which is still a long time to not have a bank account). Moving to another country for a bit could be an idea.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (22)
25.58%
As I expected (27)
31.4%
Harder (31)
36.05%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.98%

Watched Threads