The Student Room Group

Computer software engineering

I have been looking at multiple posts online about apprenticeships for computer software engineering, this has interested me a lot and I have been looking around online for a while now and haven’t been able to find much,
How much do you have to know about computing beforehand?,

I’m currently doing A-level engineering (CAD-CAM side of things)

Thanks a lot
Reply 1
Due to the current COVID restrictions, many employers have found it hard to take on apprentices this year, due to the inability to provide the face to face mentoring when a lot of staff (particularly within ICT/software engineering) can work from home. This is probably why there aren't so many opportunities at the moment. I would expect some basic software engineering knowledge if I was taking someone on, to show commitment and to be sure that they understood the career that they were getting into (also that they have the aptitude for this work). It may be worth enrolling on a college course in software engineering/C# programming (or something similar) while you are waiting for the economy to start picking up and things returning to normal. Often these can be done as evening classes if this works better for you. There are also lots of online resources available to self teach. Take care and stay safe.
Reply 2
Original post by Stress151
I have been looking at multiple posts online about apprenticeships for computer software engineering, this has interested me a lot and I have been looking around online for a while now and haven’t been able to find much,
How much do you have to know about computing beforehand?,

I’m currently doing A-level engineering (CAD-CAM side of things)

Thanks a lot

Can you code? That is what software engineering basically is. So if you can code - great! Create a portfolio of your work and post it on GitHub. If you can't code, then right now is time to start learning. The truly commercial languages at the moment are C++, C# and Java but you also can't go wrong with Python, Visual Basic or other teaching languages.

Good luck!

Quick Reply