Should I Take English Language and Literature or just English Loterature.

Watch
tee_dee21
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Hey guys !
So I am getting creeped out with the fact that despite me being enthusiastic towards the English Language subject (picked it for A Levels as an option for September 2021), I’m being told that English Literature is a more respected A Level. Now I am wondering if Universities would accept the combination of both subjects or if I should pick one of them.
In Year 10 I did my English Lit GCSE and got a grade 5. Now in Year 11 I am working towards a grade 7 in English Language by the way.
Thank you
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Both English literature and the combined English course are equally respected at A Level. No university currently looks more favourably on either one.

I took literature and language separately, and I found them to be really enjoyable subjects.
Last edited by Tolgash; 2 days ago
sy!¡
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
uni’s would accept the combination but i think you should just focus on one of them.

english literature is more respected and it’s actually a pretty good a-level (i enjoyed it)
tee_dee21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tolgash)
Both English language and English literature are equally respected at A Level. No university currently looks at one more favourably. I got A*s in both.
Thank you so much! It’s the fact that I was being told that “English language is not a facilitating subject compared to English Language as it is more respected”
tee_dee21
Rep:
?
(Original post by sy!¡)
uni’s would accept the combination but i think you should just focus on one of them.

english literature is more respected and it’s actually a pretty good a-level (i enjoyed it)
Thank you for the suggestion!
sy!¡
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by tee_dee21)
Thank you for the suggestion!
you’re welcome
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by tee_dee21)
Thank you so much! It’s the fact that I was being told that “English language is not a facilitating subject compared to English Language as it is more respected”
Facilitating subjects don't exist anymore, so that point is irrelevant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (244)
51.15%
No (233)
48.85%

Watched Threads