Do my parents need to be included on my application if I support myself?

Watch
peachcat16
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hey!

Can you apply for the full maintenance loan WITHOUT proof of your parents' earnings?

I've looked around online and the general consensus is that, unless you've been working and financially independent for 4 years before your course* OR you're married, you need to provide your parents' earnings to assess household income.

I'm 20, I work to support myself, and I pay my own rent and bills. I don't live with either of my parents, and I have no financial support from them. Our relationship is bad and I can't ask them for their details, but I'm also not sure I even understand the requirements needed to be an 'independent student'.

Is my situation not independent enough?

*(if most people start uni at 18, they'd have to have been self sufficient from 14...? :confused:)

(also, thank you so much for this forum. Phone calls scare me a lot, so this is a godsend)
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by peachcat16)
Hey!

Can you apply for the full maintenance loan WITHOUT proof of your parents' earnings?

I've looked around online and the general consensus is that, unless you've been working and financially independent for 4 years before your course* OR you're married, you need to provide your parents' earnings to assess household income.

I'm 20, I work to support myself, and I pay my own rent and bills. I don't live with either of my parents, and I have no financial support from them. Our relationship is bad and I can't ask them for their details, but I'm also not sure I even understand the requirements needed to be an 'independent student'.

Is my situation not independent enough?

*(if most people start uni at 18, they'd have to have been self sufficient from 14...? :confused:)

(also, thank you so much for this forum. Phone calls scare me a lot, so this is a godsend)
Hi Peach, I noticed from your message that you don't like calling. Just to make you aware, we are available on Facebook and Twitter also https://www.facebook.com/SFEngland/ - here on TSR we can answer general queries.

To apply for the higher rate of the loan, you must either provide your parents financial details or meet the independent student criteria listed here http://ow.ly/q5mJ30oSfa5
Please have a read through the list and if you have any queries regarding this please let us know.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (424)
51.83%
No (394)
48.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise