Toradora69
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I’m hoping to apply to Oxbridge in the future (maybe a small bit ambitious) but am stuck between taking chemistry or geography. I’m a straight A* student but just find chemistry boring. Is it a necessity for applying or would it give me an advantage? I really don’t mind what other GCSE’s I take.

Thank you!
huda.farooqui
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Toradora69)
I’m hoping to apply to Oxbridge in the future (maybe a small bit ambitious) but am stuck between taking chemistry or geography. I’m a straight A* student but just find chemistry boring. Is it a necessity for applying or would it give me an advantage? I really don’t mind what other GCSE’s I take.

Thank you!
I think Maths and Computer Science for sure for Computer Science.

Where did chemistry come from?
Toradora69
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by huda.farooqui)
I think Maths and Computer Science for sure for Computer Science.

Where did chemistry come from?
I thought maybe you would need three sciences, but I wasn’t sure. Thank you!
huda.farooqui
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I thought maybe you would need three sciences, but I wasn’t sure. Thank you!
Ah I think for gcse you do all 3 sciences anyway. But for a level you need maths and computer science for oxbridge and imperia, and UCL as well

Most of the other universities will take either maths or computer science
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Thank you!
Just to clarify, are you choosing your GCSE's?

If so, you will have to take Chemistry as it is a core subject. How much you learn about it varies on the qualification you choose.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
For me, it didn't really matter because all the subjects required were compulsory anyway. With regards to A-Levels however, I did Maths, Physics, Computing and also a CCNA course.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Just to clarify, are you choosing your GCSE's?

If so, you will have to take Chemistry as it is a core subject. How much you learn about it varies on the qualification you choose.
Toradora69

Oxford -> Computer Science
A-Level Mathematics is essential and A-Level Further Mathematics is essential.
You don't need A-Level Computer Science, but if you want to do a Computer Science degree, I don't see why you wouldn't take it.
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...mputer-science

Cambridge -> Computer Science
A-Level Mathematics is essential for all colleges and A-Level Further Mathematics is required for some colleges.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....mputer-science

Beware, you can only apply to either Oxford or Cambridge.
Ferox111
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
[QUOTE=huda.farooqui;94083458]Ah I think for gcse you do all 3 sciences anyway. But for a level you need maths and computer science for oxbridge and imperia, and UCL as well

You don’t need, computer science and maths. You need maths definitely, but since many schools don’t have computer science as a course, it’s definitely not a requirement, that’s why they say that no programming experience is needed prior to going.
Last edited by Ferox111; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (128)
41.69%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (35)
11.4%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (25)
8.14%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (67)
21.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
10.75%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.19%

Watched Threads