If you take English or History A-Level, reply

Watch
enmc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I’m considering taking English or History as an A-Level.

If anyone takes it can you let me know if you enjoy it and how heavy the workload is? Or anything else someone should know before they take it?

Thank you!!
anaturner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi! I take history A-level, and it was my second choice as I was unable to do politics (timetable clash). As a result, I went into the A-level with such a negative mindset, but now I absolutely love it. There is a lot of content, and we get essays for homework most weeks, but I really enjoy it. I find essay writing comes quite naturally me, so I don't find it too difficult. Of course it depends on your teacher, class size, and which topics you do. Which topics are in your school's history A-level?
enmc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by anaturner)
Hi! I take history A-level, and it was my second choice as I was unable to do politics (timetable clash). As a result, I went into the A-level with such a negative mindset, but now I absolutely love it. There is a lot of content, and we get essays for homework most weeks, but I really enjoy it. I find essay writing comes quite naturally me, so I don't find it too difficult. Of course it depends on your teacher, class size, and which topics you do. Which topics are in your school's history A-level?
The Tudors, The American Dream 1945-80 and a depth study?/coursework over a 100 year period of Russia from 1855-1955
anaturner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by enmc)
The Tudors, The American Dream 1945-80 and a depth study?/coursework over a 100 year period of Russia from 1855-1955
Ooo interesting mix from a range of time periods - at my school we can either do modern or early modern, and then all the topics are focussed on that. I'm doing the Tudors and quite like it - I also think the American Dream sounds really interesting!!
nnth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by enmc)
Cool! I'm currently at the end of my A levels, having just done those two topics. Not the coursework (NEA) though, for that I did China in the 20th C. I can't really say much about your future possible workload, as it probably differs from school to school. However, where I currently study, I've been getting an essay every week. It usually see-saws between the American Dream and the Tudors. The essays are the equivalent version of the weekly tests for the science subjects. I guess it depends what course you're going to do, as both myself and enmc are doing the AQA A level course. It probably differs a bit depending on who your exam board is. If you are going to be doing AQA A level History, just prepare yourself for lots of extra reading around the subject, and the necessity to use your time wisely when you do your NEA.
jackmarshal757
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by anaturner)
I do history and politics lol
jackmarshal757
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I was summoned?
JasmineD-O
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by enmc)
Hi, I’m considering taking English or History as an A-Level.

If anyone takes it can you let me know if you enjoy it and how heavy the workload is? Or anything else someone should know before they take it?

Thank you!!
I do Politics, English Language and History; I am enjoying Politics and History the most. But Eng Lang is interesting sometime, it just depends what we're learning about
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (75)
27.57%
England (92)
33.82%
Belgium (23)
8.46%
Germany (35)
12.87%
Spain (3)
1.1%