enmc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
hello

so I want to take chemistry for A-Level because I’m now at the end of my gcse course and i’ve really enjoyed it. I’m good at Chemistry but I’m well aware the jump from gcse to a-level chemistry is quite significant 💀. the thing is, I don’t want to take it for a degree or a career in science/medicine, I just wanna take it because I enjoy it. I’ve been told it is not a good decision to take a single science a-level on its own without the intention to continue it further.

if anyone takes it for a-level do you have any advice to help me out? is it worth taking it despite other factors i mentioned?

thanks
goldensky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by enmc)
hello

so I want to take chemistry for A-Level because I’m now at the end of my gcse course and i’ve really enjoyed it. I’m good at Chemistry but I’m well aware the jump from gcse to a-level chemistry is quite significant 💀. the thing is, I don’t want to take it for a degree or a career in science/medicine, I just wanna take it because I enjoy it. I’ve been told it is not a good decision to take a single science a-level on its own without the intention to continue it further.

if anyone takes it for a-level do you have any advice to help me out? is it worth taking it despite other factors i mentioned?

thanks
hey!

I’m a Y13 taking it right now (though I only took it for uni haha).
I would say if you do enjoy it take it! I have plenty of friends who have taken a levels just because they enjoy it and have chosen things that have nothing to do with some of their a levels.

I would say that A level chemistry has quite a bit of maths involved and I found the jump quite big tbh💀 (maybe cause I didn’t revise much lol)

Have a quick look at the spec to see if you think you’d enjoy learning it, because if you don’t want to take it further you want to spend 2 years liking/wanting to learn it

Chemistry also opens loads of doors to SO many options!!

hope this helps!
nerviodor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I take A level Chemistry and I really like it. My primary reason for taking it is because I want to do medicine. It all depends on the following questions:

Do you know what you want to study at uni?
How good are you with maths?
Chemistry can be time-consuming so how would you feel about prioritising it over your other subjects?
mscully
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi, I was unsure what I wanted to study at uni, so I chose a levels that I enjoy - I do maths, chemistry and economics. I'm going to study economics at university. So my chemistry A level will be pretty useless! For me, it was still worth doing chemistry and not a more economics/maths centred subject because it's something I enjoyed, I don't regret my choice. However, I would say if you know what you want to study, make sure your other a levels are related to that subject. Also, the difference between a level and gcse chemistry is so extreme, they don't really ease you into it! I got a 9 at gcse, and my first two a level tests I got a D - now I'm getting As. Don't let that dishearten you though, if you enjoy it you will work hard and it will be rewarding.
Hopefully my experience helps a bit!
linedpaper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I do it, I'm in y12 I don't want to continue onto medicine at uni or do it as a degree but it's recommended for other science degrees.
If you enjoy it, then go for it.

I got an 8 at GCSE (but idk if I would have got that if we did exams) and I didn't really see a massive jump from GCSE to A level in any of my subjects. Sure at the start of A level Chemistry there are concepts you learnt at GCSE that are very different, but it does click eventually.

There is quite a lot of maths, especially in inorganic/physical chemistry, and I find that hard as maths isn't my strong suit (7 at GCSE), or at least I find it harder to interpret questions. You should be decent at maths if you want to take it.

It is quite time consuming if you regularly revise it etc but I'm working at a solid B rn without much effort. Do make sure it fits with your other A levels though.
Ignore the advice you've received about it not being good to do a random science. Do what you want, it opens doors.
MiffedGrad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I studied it at A-Level, in the hope of doing medicine. Worst decision ever. Any fun I got from it at GCSE entirely dissipated, and as it got harder it got embarrassing how hard I found it. Consequently, I obviously didn't do very well in it, losing my chance at medicine, and knackering my A-Level grades for the high-ranking unis for any other subject. I had As and A*s across the board at GCSE, could easily have taken another subject and probably got an A (my other A-Levels were A/A*)....but no, I slogged through Chemistry for meagre reward.

If it's your best subject and you really gel with it, by all means go for it. But if you're taking it as a means to an end, you may well find it sucking the life out of you and negating that very end! If I could turn back time, I'd have taken Geography, Politics, Spanish, English Lit, Psychology, Physics....anything but Chemistry!

Overwhelming advice however, that I'd freely give to anyone at school - do what you're good at, not what you want. It might not take you the direction you imagine, but at least you can sit supping champagne with four A*s under your belt at Durham, instead of scrabbling around wondering what to do now your career plan has gone!
enmc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by nerviodor)
I take A level Chemistry and I really like it. My primary reason for taking it is because I want to do medicine. It all depends on the following questions:

Do you know what you want to study at uni?
How good are you with maths?
Chemistry can be time-consuming so how would you feel about prioritising it over your other subjects?
1. planning to study law
2. i’m good at maths, just finished my maths and further maths gcse course and planning on taking maths for a level
3. i guess i could prioritise it, but that’s actually helpful information to know so thank you !
adr7713
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi!
I take chemistry, I do enjoy it but I admit with chemistry there is a lot to digest and take in. I am approaching the end of the A-Level course, and I would definitely recommend it to you since from your previous post you are planning to take Maths, so you must think quite mathematically (this will be so helpful in A2 chemistry!).

Also, something I would say is don't let all the content scare you (yes it is daunting) but I think A-Level Chemistry is manageable if you stay on it. I don't think the jump to a level was too bad or difficult (it only is if you don't work in the beginning). I would say to make it less daunting if you start the A level course, to not think that anything topic 'too easy' or you 'don't need to study it's more about finding your technique for chemistry for the two years.
MiffedGrad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by enmc)
1. planning to study law
2. i’m good at maths, just finished my maths and further maths gcse course and planning on taking maths for a level
3. i guess i could prioritise it, but that’s actually helpful information to know so thank you !
If you're gunning for law, there are likely easier and more relevant options than Chemistry. If you fancy a shot at a top uni, you need the best grades possible. Especially with law, you can take it regardless of A-Level choices I think - looked at it at the time, and the GDL after uni before getting courteously rejected by my sponsor firm - so if I were in your shoes I'd be hitting the essay subjects and going for As. Better an A in Sociology/Politics/History than a B in Chemistry - don't let your teachers tell you otherwise!

But if you want to take Chemistry and it's your best subject, do it. There was never a dilemma for me over most of my A-Levels, I loved Biology, History and English so did them. It was adding on Chemistry and Maths that wrecked me... I never asked anyone on here, not sure it even existed back then - maybe I should have done, then I'd have made different choices!
holly263
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by enmc)
hello

thanks
Hey, i'm in year 13 and took Chemistry purely because i enjoyed. My other a-levels didnt link to chemistry at all aswell. In year 12, the jump from GCSE isn't too bad and it does link well. But there is defnitely a bigger jump from year 12 to year 13.
MusicalMe101
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi, I'm in year 12 at the moment and I take chemistry.
I enjoy it, I also take biology and English (I really enjoy it as it balances out the sciences very nicely). It is a really interesting subject, though at times the content can be overwhelming, there is also a lot of maths involved though as you are taking A level maths you probably won't really struggle with it. I found the jump between GCSEs and A levels really hard, it took a while to wrap my head around how in depth everything is at A level, and it gets difficult very quickly. Now halfway through year 12, I would say that it is really important to enjoy the subjects you choose to take, many people criticised my decision to take English instead of maths, though I knew that I would not be happy taking maths and that I could get good grades in English. Many of my friends have switched between subjects at some point because they just didn't enjoy them enough and took them only because they thought it would fit in with their other subject choices. Take the subject because you enjoy it, not because 'it looks good with the others' as you will have to spend a lot of time going over everything you learn and then revising for the actual exams.

I hope this helps, good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (2)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (2)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (2)
16.67%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (4)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (2)
16.67%

Watched Threads