Ganj0
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm an international student who got an offer for Msc Data Science and Statistics with a placement year at the University of Bath. I'm wondering if there is any point in doing placement year as I heard it pays lesser and you have to find the placement. So couldn't i just find a job and get paid normally instead of a placement? What do you guys think about Masters placement year.
Ganj0
Rep:
?
I'm an international student who got an offer for Msc Data Science and Statistics with a placement year at the University of Bath. I'm wondering if there is any point in doing placement year as I heard it pays lesser and you have to find the placement. So couldn't i just find a job and get paid normally instead of a placement? What do you guys think about Masters placement year.
vinnie63
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Ganj0)
hey.. if you have to look for a placement yourself then i dont feel opting for a placement year would be really helpful.
btw, i am also an international student applying for Msc Data Science..
which other clgs did you apply to ??
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Ganj0)
Hi! Ganj0

The placement year might be part of your course, which is why it is important to speak to someone about this. I would speak to your university and course leader about this. If it is a choice then choose what you feel is best for you and what you would enjoy more, but your university should be able to help you with this.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Ganj0
Rep:
?
(Original post by kanupriya63)
hey.. if you have to look for a placement yourself then i dont feel opting for a placement year would be really helpful.
btw, i am also an international student applying for Msc Data Science..
which other clgs did you apply to ??
Thats cool, I've got an offer from Bath and Cardiff and I'm waiting for a reply from Glasglow, but got rejected from Leeds. Did you get any reply's? As far as I've heard, placements in UK are all found by the student themselves as opposed to us in India where companies visit us. But most people say placement years are still great but they are talking about bachelor placement year which is in between their studies. I wanted to know if there is any point in doing placement for postgraduation.
Ganj0
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi! Ganj0

The placement year might be part of your course, which is why it is important to speak to someone about this. I would speak to your university and course leader about this. If it is a choice then choose what you feel is best for you and what you would enjoy more, but your university should be able to help you with this.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
I have sent a message asking for some details related to the placement year but I haven't gotten a reply so far. I was hoping I'd get a reply from someone who has done a PG placement year or planning to do one.
vinnie63
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Ganj0)
Thats cool, I've got an offer from Bath and Cardiff and I'm waiting for a reply from Glasglow, but got rejected from Leeds. Did you get any reply's? As far as I've heard, placements in UK are all found by the student themselves as opposed to us in India where companies visit us. But most people say placement years are still great but they are talking about bachelor placement year which is in between their studies. I wanted to know if there is any point in doing placement for postgraduation.
i wish i could help you with that... I am equally confused about the placements and jobs.. makes me wonder it is easy in India with the companies visiting our colleges.
I got an offer from Glasgow and Sheffield.. waiting for the others now.
Khabizza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm under the same dilemma. I'm currently holding an offer from Liverpool for MSc Data Science and AI with placement year and I'm not sure if I should take it
Hundeschule
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The University will normally present to you those companies that offer placements. If you don’t like those offers just don’t do it. Do your normal studies without a placement year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.27%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
10.94%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.07%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.38%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.73%

Watched Threads