Am I stuck up if I will only date someone if I'm physically attracted to them?

Watch
Anonymous #5
Report 3 months ago
You don't owe any explanation if you do not want to be in a relationship with someone no matter what your personal reason for that may be, and you definitely don't owe your friend a relationship just because he wants one with you. As long as you aren't purposefully being hurtful in rejections (which it sounds like you aren't), there is nothing wrong with saying no.

You are the one who has to decide if a relationship is right for you, not anyone else, and if physical attraction is important to you, it's not up to anyone else to say that you should ignore that. If it hurts them that sucks, but rejection is part of life, and it's probably not the best idea to get into a relationship out of pity or because you don't want to hurt the other person.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Like I've said in the other comments, I've been rejected by many guys and I've never held it against them or anything, this is not a gender thing, this is just a guilt thing, like is it a bad thing to consider, I was trying to get across my experience in the first post.
It's not a bad thing to consider. Attraction is very important. Unfortunately, men are told it's wrong. Double standards I guess.
Anonymous #4
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
It's not a bad thing to consider. Attraction is very important. Unfortunately, men are told it's wrong. Double standards I guess.w
when are men told it's wrong to look for sexual attraction in relationships?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
It's not a bad thing to consider. Attraction is very important. Unfortunately, men are told it's wrong. Double standards I guess.
I've been told it's wrong too, usually by those that I have rejected, which has been men. I don't consider that a gender wide thing though, probably just who I've become friends with, as it's usually friends that ask me out.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
when are men told it's wrong to look for sexual attraction in relationships?
Not sexual attraction, but things like obesity, overweight etc. "but if he loves you he should love your obesity!" yeah no thanks.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago
Not sexual attraction, but things like obesity, overweight etc. "but if he loves you he should love your obesity!" yeah no thanks.
I agree, why’s it wrong to dislike someone due to their weight? it’s just another physical characteristic such as the shape of their nose smh
username1234444
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
not shallow but it's not a reliable foundation for a relationship. sure looks may be "exciting" for a while but looks fade and when you marry someone, all you will have are the memories you've made and each other. looks should be a fraction of what you're looking for in a person but you still need to be sexually attracted to them so yeah, it is quite important but definitely shouldn't override any other reasons such as their personality + their character.

idk personally when i like someone's personality, they instantly become attractive in my eyes
Anonymous #4
Report 3 months ago
i'm not sure there's a widespread gender-based double standard, women are also expected to overlook male "deficiencies" - 'boys will be boys', 'if he's mean to you sometimes it's just flirtation', and weight too (like you mentioned) etc. relationships are full of give and takes & nosy other people are always quick to tell couples to get over it and work for their relationship 🤷*♀️
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
i'm not sure there's a widespread gender-based double standard, women are also expected to overlook male "deficiencies" - 'boys will be boys', 'if he's mean to you sometimes it's just flirtation', and weight too (like you mentioned) etc. relationships are full of give and takes & nosy other people are always quick to tell couples to get over it and work for their relationship 🤷*♀️
Yeah I agree.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by username1234444)
not shallow but it's not a reliable foundation for a relationship. sure looks may be "exciting" for a while but looks fade and when you marry someone, all you will have are the memories you've made and each other. looks should be a fraction of what you're looking for in a person but you still need to be sexually attracted to them so yeah, it is quite important but definitely shouldn't override any other reasons such as their personality + their character.

idk personally when i like someone's personality, they instantly become attractive in my eyes
I want to get across that I don't have unrealistic expectations for looks, there are just people I'm attracted to and people I'm not. I'm not looking for 'exciting' but just someone I would want to/can have physical/sexual chemistry with. I always consider personality/character, I've never dated anyone solely for looks or anything like that, I don't hold looks over personality but it is an important element I think?
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I want to get across that I don't have unrealistic expectations for looks, there are just people I'm attracted to and people I'm not. I'm not looking for 'exciting' but just someone I would want to/can have physical/sexual chemistry with. I always consider personality/character, I've never dated anyone solely for looks or anything like that, I don't hold looks over personality but it is an important element I think?
You can't help who you're attracted to. It's not your fault. No worries.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago
That’s totally fine dw
(j make sure ur nice when u reject people)
ellie0497
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
certainly shallow but not a bad thing!
username5600688
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
That’s totally fine dw
(j make sure ur nice when u reject people)
You don't have to be particularly nice, just a no not interested is enough. You don't owe anybody a relationship or even a single date, that's absurd...
username1234444
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
well then what's the point of this post lol? surely everyone feels like that (personality>looks but still consider looks)
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by CatGentleman)
You don't have to be particularly nice, just a no not interested is enough. You don't owe anybody a relationship or even a single date, that's absurd...
As in some people may be offended if u decide to tell them why (which u don’t have to!) so choose ur words carefully
Anonymous #1
(Original post by username1234444)
well then what's the point of this post lol? surely everyone feels like that (personality>looks but still consider looks)
Just wanted opinions honestly, I don't have many people to talk to about it, sorry I know it's very exasperating and I worry a lot.
vibin 777 33
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(22F) Relationships really aren't on my radar at the moment but I do have a few guy friends and each of them have asked me out when we first met but one in particular is very persistent. Not persistent in a bad way, he's very nice and we get along great but I am not physically attracted to him in the slightest. This isn't something I could just forget because we get on so well, it would cause problems. I always feel terrible when guys (who I PERSONALLY find unattractive) ask me out and I say no, it has happened several times throughout my life and when I was a teenager I was made to feel like a horrible person by all the guys in my year for rejecting one of their friends. Am I terrible/vain for considering looks important?
What about me? Am I stuck up for only dating and having sex with China/Korea/Japanese men?

Like even if he's ugly if he's asian Im ok with it. Though I'd prefer him to be handsome or average looking

Men from other races are not sexually attractive to me. I'd rather vomit than have sex with a non asian dude. I watch too many C dramas and K dramas and KPOP and Jpop and anime all did this to me
username5600688
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
As in some people may be offended if u decide to tell them why (which u don’t have to!) so choose ur words carefully
So what if they are? I'd rather be told not interested than have someone pretend they care about my feelings or something.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by CatGentleman)
So what if they are? I'd rather be told not interested than have someone pretend they care about my feelings or something.
I’d rather be told a reason... I guess it’s just personal choice 🤷*♀️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (192)
43.74%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (50)
11.39%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.97%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.73%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.48%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.69%

Watched Threads