chqrlotteh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, I am new to this Student Room and I was wondering if anyone could help me with choosing my GCSE options. I only have until the 23rd of march to decide and I am really stuck on choosing the last two options.

At the moment I am quite sure on Triple Science, Maths, English Lit&Lan, History and Mandarin but I don't know what to choose for my last two options.

I was considering IT as I am quite good at it, I do not want to take anything art based or drama/ music or anything like that because I really want to become a veterinarian and taking subjects like that wont be very beneficial. At the moment I am also thinking about taking Business Studies GCSE but I am a bit worried as to whether top university's will look down on it as they might consider it an 'easy' A*. Not sure if I should take either Business or Psychology, although I am more on the business side.

I would really appreciate some help on choosing and if anyone can offer me any advice on anything above. If you have taken chosen any of the subjects above I would be most grateful if you could tell me whether that subject is hard and what you do etc.

Thankyou
Last edited by chqrlotteh; 5 months ago
AmaraBeau
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I suggest that it would be good if you do not take IT or like anything computer science related, business is probably a safe choice.
wrxnn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by chqrlotteh)
Hi, I am new to this Student Room and I was wondering if anyone could help me with choosing my GCSE options. I only have until the 23rd of march to decide and I am really stuck on choosing the last option.

At the moment I am quite sure on Triple Science, Maths, English Lit&Lan, History and Mandarin but I don't know what to choose for my last two options.

I was considering IT as I am quite good at it, I do not want to take anything art based or drama/ music or anything like that because I really want to become a veterinarian and taking subjects like that wont be very beneficial. At the moment I am also thinking about taking Business Studies GCSE but I am a bit worried as to whether top university's will look down on it as they might consider it an 'easy' A*. Not sure if I should take either Business or Psychology, although I am more on the business side.

I would really appreciate some help on choosing and if anyone can offer me any advice on anything above. If you have taken chosen any of the subjects above I would be most grateful if you could tell me whether that subject is hard and what you do etc.

Thankyou
Universities are not going to look down on Business as an 'easy A', they don't do that with any subject as they only look at A-Levels and then making sure you passed a certain number of your GCSE's, as well as making sure you English and Math grades meet the min. requirement for that course.

GCSE's are mainly used a stepping stone for A-Levels, and as long as you get good grades in maths and English (5/6) as well as meet the minimum grade requirements for the subjects you want to study at A-Level you should be fine.

I'd recommend looking to the future and seeing what A-Levels you want to take, what grades they require, and the best GCSE subjects to support them.

I do not know much about being a vet but obviously there are not many GCSE's which directly link into it. Just make sure you plan what A-Levels you want to take, and make sure if your school offers GCSE's that link heavily into them definitely consider them.

Primarily though, take subjects you know you will enjoy and have a passion for as that just makes revision so much easier.

Hope this helped a little
chqrlotteh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by wrxnn)
Universities are not going to look down on Business as an 'easy A', they don't do that with any subject as they only look at A-Levels and then making sure you passed a certain number of your GCSE's, as well as making sure you English and Math grades meet the min. requirement for that course.

GCSE's are mainly used a stepping stone for A-Levels, and as long as you get good grades in maths and English (5/6) as well as meet the minimum grade requirements for the subjects you want to study at A-Level you should be fine.

I'd recommend looking to the future and seeing what A-Levels you want to take, what grades they require, and the best GCSE subjects to support them.

I do not know much about being a vet but obviously there are not many GCSE's which directly link into it. Just make sure you plan what A-Levels you want to take, and make sure if your school offers GCSE's that link heavily into them definitely consider them.

Primarily though, take subjects you know you will enjoy and have a passion for as that just makes revision so much easier.

Hope this helped a little
ok thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (35)
15.28%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (70)
30.57%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (28)
12.23%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (19)
8.3%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (13)
5.68%
I think it's an unfair expectation (61)
26.64%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.31%

Watched Threads