bethanny_g
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi!
How respected/good/bad are these universities for Psychology?

- Dundee
- Abertay Dundee (most likely to get into)
- Stirling
- Strathclyde (BA)
- Aberdeen (for MA Psychology)

All are accredited.

Some background: I just have an interest in psychology and human mind - I don't want to work as a psychologist (counselling etc). What I am thinking about career-wise is becoming a police detective, but I'm also considering masters in forensic psychology in the future. I want to stay in Scotland, and the universities I listed are the ones I could get into this year. Otherwise I'd have to take a year off and gain other qualifications, so I want to know if it would be worth it just to get into a better uni in my situation. I'm also already behind quite a lot (I'm a mature student) due to personal/family issues. How much does the "prestige" really matter in case of BSc Psychology courses? In my case, does it matter if I study BSc or BA/MA?
Last edited by bethanny_g; 6 months ago
Caitlin245
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
In all cases (even if you want to go onto clinical or other competitive postgrad) it doesn’t make a difference if you take a BSc vs BA as long as the course is accredited. I would say prestige isn’t as important if you aren’t aspiring to go into a highly competitive psychology postgrad such as clinical or educational psychology. What matters more than the prestige of the institution is the grades you make (in order to be BPS certified you need to obtain a 2.1). If you obtain good grades from a lower ranked university it will still be looked upon highly and won’t hinder your changes of getting into postgraduate study such as forensic psychology
bethanny_g
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Caitlin245)
In all cases (even if you want to go onto clinical or other competitive postgrad) it doesn’t make a difference if you take a BSc vs BA as long as the course is accredited. I would say prestige isn’t as important if you aren’t aspiring to go into a highly competitive psychology postgrad such as clinical or educational psychology. What matters more than the prestige of the institution is the grades you make (in order to be BPS certified you need to obtain a 2.1). If you obtain good grades from a lower ranked university it will still be looked upon highly and won’t hinder your changes of getting into postgraduate study such as forensic psychology
thanks! that actually helps a lot.

I'd imagine it would be better to get an MA/BA from a higher ranked uni (say, Glasgow or Aberdeen) than a BSc from a lower ranked one (e.g Abertay Dundee)?
Caitlin245
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by bethanny_g)
thanks! that actually helps a lot.

I'd imagine it would be better to get an MA/BA from a higher ranked uni (say, Glasgow or Aberdeen) than a BSc from a lower ranked one (e.g Abertay Dundee)?
No problem! And yes it would be better graduate prospect wise to get your degree from a higher ranked university (eg. Glasgow is currently top in Scotland for Psychology graduate prospects) but it won’t be as problematic if you go to a lower ranked one and don’t intend to go onto an ultra competitive masters.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
7.5%
I need help researching courses (3)
7.5%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
7.5%
I need help with my personal statement (20)
50%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (8)
20%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.5%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
5%

Watched Threads