ppmaz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I am looking for advice on the new route into law. I understand the SQE is replacing the LPC and the GDL, but what does this mean for non law degree students? What course can I take to gain law knowledge, or is that included in the SQE? How do you look for the QWE?
I have a degree in Forensic Psychology, I work with children in care and would love to become a family law solicitor.
What happens after the SQEs and QWE? Are you then a fully fledged solicitor ready to work?
17Student17
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you want to go the new route then you can either cram for SQE1 yourself at home and then pay to take SQE1 exams or do an SQE1 course and then SQE1 exam - so probably for some that will be a full time course like BPP's Sept - April new style GDL my sons are doing but with separate SQE1 exams on top. Then a year's course to do SQEII preparation and exams (or do it over 2 years part time perhaps whilst working in a law role). Then the bigger firms would like people having passed both SQEI and II then to do 2 years of training with them. Or you might be able to find up to 4 6 month stints which are supervised by a solicitor - so once you pass SQEi and II and have finished the 2 years and found to be of suitable standing etc then you will be qualified. I am not sure it is too different from the current system once you get into it but may be easier for some to qualify.

You are indeed a fully qualified solicitor after the SQE1 and II exams and the 2 years of qualifying work experience supervised by a solicitor etc.
17Student17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
There is also quite a good diagram at the bottom on this link of the training put out by big law firms - https://www.slaughterandmay.com/medi...ay-2020_v4.pdf (for those who might want to train that way)
A.ME108
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, what would be the best route for someone who has a undergraduate degree in English Lit but wants to take the SQE. Then eventually wants to take the bar exam in NYC to qualify as a lawyer over in the states. Not sure exactly where to begin. Any help would be appreciated. Is there anyone I can talk to maybe over the phone that can help me figure out what the best plan of action would be?
17Student17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't know enough about the NY system. Could you not simply just do the NY exams? First look at how easy might it be to travel to the US and stay there - green card etc etc If it would be very hard indeed and you are in the UK then qualifying in England may be better.
A.ME108
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 17Student17)
I don't know enough about the NY system. Could you not simply just do the NY exams? First look at how easy might it be to travel to the US and stay there - green card etc etc If it would be very hard indeed and you are in the UK then qualifying in England may be better.
From the research I have done and my understanding of that is to be a lawyer in NY you have to have a law qualification from the UK. I don't have a law qualification hence why I want to take the SQE in order to have that qualification.
camapplicant530
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why would a NY firm hire you without a JD?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.77%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
13.21%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
15.09%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (6)
11.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (21)
39.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (9)
16.98%

Watched Threads