The Student Room Group

A level further maths problem - roots of quartic equation

I attempted this question and was able to get as far as:

α²r³ = 1/32

I can't see a way of solving this problem without guessing values of α and r, can anyone see another way? Many thanks.
ex4c q9.png
Original post by TSRTD

α²r³ = 1/32

I can't see a way of solving this problem without guessing values of α and r, can anyone see another way? Many thanks.
ex4c q9.png

This one's really stumped me - I keep going round in circles getting α²r³ = 1/32 like you
Bumping the thread so someone else might see it!
Reply 2
Original post by TSRTD

α²r³ = 1/32

ex4c q9.png

The cubic coefficient will give the sum of a geometric sequence (roots) as well. Just solve those two equations for r and alpha.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
The cubic coefficient will give the sum of a geometric sequence (roots) as well. Just solve those two equations for r and alpha.

I tried this, and I think I encountered the same problem as I have with other routes. Everything I try leads to having to solve a quartic or quintic equation, neither of which I have a rigorous method for solving.
As I said in the other thread, if you form those 2 equations, there's an obvious guess for r and alpha. It's obvious "enough" that I very much expect you were just supposed to spot it.

If you're worried about rigour, a quartic has at most 4 roots, so if you find 4 roots that work, you have solved it, even if you did it totally by trial and error.
Reply 5
Original post by TSRTD
I tried this, and I think I encountered the same problem as I have with other routes. Everything I try leads to having to solve a quartic or quintic equation, neither of which I have a rigorous method for solving.

Knowing Edexcel they probably just expect you to guess and then check it works. So in this case if we know α²r³ = 1/32 = (1/2)5, so it looks like having α=r=1/2 will work (and I think if you check it then it does). I don't see any way to do it other than making a logical guess from this point :confused:
Original post by TSRTD

The Pearson solution bank notes that 1/32 = 1/(2^5) and goes from there to offer r = 1/2 and a = 1/2 as candidate solutions which are then checked against the formulas for one or more of the polynomial coefficients. Any other approach looks quite difficult to me.

Edit: overlap with posts #5 and #6 acknowledged.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by TSRTD

α²r³ = 1/32

ex4c q9.png

Four roots, x = α, rα, r^2*α, r^3*a. Could factor the quartic as (x - α)(x - rα)(x - r^2*α)(x - r^3*α} then expand and compare coefficients.

Or you could use sum of the roots/products of roots formulae?
Original post by old_engineer
The Pearson solution bank notes that 1/32 = 1/(2^5) and goes from there to offer r = 1/2 and a = 1/2 as candidate solutions which are then checked against the formulas for one or more of the polynomial coefficients. Any other approach looks quite difficult to me.

Not really any "better", but by the rational root theorem, any rational root p/q (with p,q in lowest terms) has p | 3 and q | 3072. You can rule out 3 dividing p or q easily and you're then down to a very small number of possibilities.

[Of course, you don't know the roots are rational, which is why this isn't perhaps as good as it looks].
Reply 9
After too much time, the best I can get is using (mainly) the quadratic coefficient you can get
30 = (31 - 4r^2)sqrt(2r)
Which, by inspection, has the two solutions r=2,1/2. It takes too long to get it in that form however.
Last effort which is probably closer to a proper solution.

Let the centred geometric sequence have terms
m/s^3, m/s, ms, ms^3
Then the geometric mean, m, is 1/4sqrt(2). That's as before, just taking the fourth root of the constant term. Note r = s^2 now.

Looking at the quadratic coefficient we get
m^2(s^-2 + s^2)^2 + m^2(s^-2 + s^2) = 35/128
We can solve that quadratic getting
(s^-2 + s^2) = 5/2
And solving that quadratic gives
s^2 = 2, 1/2

So sorted. r=1/2, alpha=1/2 or alpha=1/16, r=2.
Reply 11
Original post by mqb2766
Last effort which is probably closer to a proper solution.

Let the centred geometric sequence have terms
m/s^3, m/s, ms, ms^3
Then the geometric mean, m, is 1/4sqrt(2). That's as before, just taking the fourth root of the constant term. Note r = s^2 now.

Looking at the quadratic coefficient we get
m^2(s^-2 + s^2)^2 + m^2(s^-2 + s^2) = 35/128
We can solve that quadratic getting
(s^-2 + s^2) = 5/2
And solving that quadratic gives
s^2 = 2, 1/2

So sorted. r=1/2, alpha=1/2 or alpha=1/16, r=2.

Thank you for this! I like this solution.
The quartic equation that I had in terms of r after messing around with the coefficient equations gave two real solutions of r = 1/2 and r = 2, both of which make sense as having r = 2 and r = 1/2 results in identical roots.
Original post by TSRTD
Thank you for this! I like this solution.
The quartic equation that I had in terms of r after messing around with the coefficient equations gave two real solutions of r = 1/2 and r = 2, both of which make sense as having r = 2 and r = 1/2 results in identical roots.

There are two solutions for the same geometric sequence 1/16,1/8,1/4,1/2. One increases (r=2, alpha=1/16), the other decreases (r=1/2,alpha=1/2). They are both solutions to this quartic, just starting/indexed differently.

Note, you don't have to use a centred geometric sequence, but it's easier to spot the factorisation for the quadratic part. I kept pulling the wrong power of r out when doing it in the original geometric form. Similarly, the centred form has the nice property that m is the geometric mean and the (4th) root of the constant.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest