The Student Room Group

Leaving current university after first year - do my results matter?

Hello,
I'm currently planning to leave my university after my first year. In my midsessionals I managed to achieve an average of a high 2.1. I'm planning to leave this course after the first year, and start a new course (at a different university) which I'm extremely passionate about.
Does it matter what marks I achieve in this course, because I'm also planning to do a master's in the new course, and I know you have to apply through UCAS for a master's degree and therefore declare all my qualifications (which includes my current degree I guess(?) If I do end up achieving a 2.2, will this be looked down upon by the institution I will apply for a master's for, or even by employers?
I am trying my best for my current course, but I have to do a lot of other things which are currently more of my priority because these other things will help me get into my dream university.
Thank you.
Original post by Azotic02
Hello,
I'm currently planning to leave my university after my first year. In my midsessionals I managed to achieve an average of a high 2.1. I'm planning to leave this course after the first year, and start a new course (at a different university) which I'm extremely passionate about.
Does it matter what marks I achieve in this course, because I'm also planning to do a master's in the new course, and I know you have to apply through UCAS for a master's degree and therefore declare all my qualifications (which includes my current degree I guess(?) If I do end up achieving a 2.2, will this be looked down upon by the institution I will apply for a master's for, or even by employers?
I am trying my best for my current course, but I have to do a lot of other things which are currently more of my priority because these other things will help me get into my dream university.
Thank you.

It really won’t make much difference, if any. You don’t need to apply through UCAS to do a masters either - not many use it for postgrad applications. I applied to 9 for my postgrad and only 1 used UCAS. Moving to another uni and completing that course is what they’ll focus on, so I wouldn’t worry. Plenty of people drop out and start again.
Original post by Manclass98
It really won’t make much difference, if any. You don’t need to apply through UCAS to do a masters either - not many use it for postgrad applications. I applied to 9 for my postgrad and only 1 used UCAS. Moving to another uni and completing that course is what they’ll focus on, so I wouldn’t worry. Plenty of people drop out and start again.

Wow. I have only just realised that you apply to the university directly for most master's degrees. Do you think doing another course will be looked down upon by employers? I only found the course which I was extremely passionate about just before starting the course which I currently do this year. At first, I thought it would be better to carry on since I would have an extra qualification but slowly I have come to realise it is not that easy. However, now thinking about it, there's no denying the fact I have learnt some great skills on work/life balance, and the ability to work independently etc. I have even started to create my own website by learning how to code in my free time.
Thank you for your help
Original post by Azotic02
Wow. I have only just realised that you apply to the university directly for most master's degrees. Do you think doing another course will be looked down upon by employers? I only found the course which I was extremely passionate about just before starting the course which I currently do this year. At first, I thought it would be better to carry on since I would have an extra qualification but slowly I have come to realise it is not that easy. However, now thinking about it, there's no denying the fact I have learnt some great skills on work/life balance, and the ability to work independently etc. I have even started to create my own website by learning how to code in my free time.
Thank you for your help

Absolutely not, employers won’t regard a change in career or education as negative at all. Lots of people change career after 2 degrees and working in the field 15+ years. Life changes and so do you, so honestly don’t worry about it. Focus your time on what you aim for, you’ll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending