The Student Room Group

MSc Project Management Application

Hi everyone,

So I am looking at many options for the MSc Project Management, and some of them are accredited by the APM (www.apm.org.uk/qualifications-and-training/accreditation/accredited-academic-organisations/ ). while others are listed as the top universities for business and management in the college leagues posted by the guardian (www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2020/sep/05/the-best-uk-universities-2021-league-table).

Can somebody please help me to sort out the following questions:
1. Whether the employers in the UK value the ranking of the universities or they have other considerations?
2. How important is it to a Project Manager with an accredited APM master? Or it is irrelevant to the employers if the master course is accredited by the APM?
3. Any difference for master course with and without accredited by APM?
(edited 3 years ago)
There is a world of difference. Like other subjects - law, psychology, engineering for example - having the course accredited by the professional body means that they have reviewed the course and approved the course. This will exempt you from some of the professional exams.

Take engineering, for example, you should only do the masters programmes that will get you to partial qualification to become a chartered engineer.

Thus for project management, if the course is not preparing you for the 'book of knowledge' examinations or getting you certified in PRINCE project management software then don't do the course.
I am struggling with the following options:

Coventry University

APM accredited.

Had an interview with the course director and he is a nice guy.

Rank #59 in Graduate Career Rankings.

Should be the most expensive one compared with the offers I received.

UWE Bristol

It is providing a 1000 GBP scholarship to me.

Rank #67 in Graduate Career Rankings.

Not accredited but I read the programme specification it mentioned “This programme has been designed to meet the educational and professional development requirements of Association for Project Management (APM).”

It seems to be a new course as in the UWE prospectus 2020, the course is marked with **Subject to approval and I cannot find any graduates details.

I am also not sure why it is in the Geography and Environmental Management Department.

Nottingham Trent University

APM accredited.

Provide internship opportunities.

Graduates get into world-renowned organisations.

Rank #24 in Graduate Career Rankings.

University of West London

Provide placement options.

The university is an Association for Project Management which provides professional short courses including PFQ and PMQ. However, the course website does not include anything of APM accredited nor it is in the list of the Accredited Academic Organisations of APM.

Friends also suggested the living cost should be the highest among all options.

And I welcome any other suggestions for MSc Project Management in other universities🙏🏻
I had a look at the APM site and I recommend the University of Birmingham. Its master's fee is £9.5k and its a cut above the Unis you are considering. If money is not a factor then Warwick (£15k) is better.
I considered Birmingham once with the reasons you mentioned, higher ranking in academic and employability as well as APM accredited. However, it is focused in Engineering perspective, should be more suitable for someone who is interested Construction project Management while I am aiming to be a Digital Project Manager...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending