mandyelicup
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Probably a stupid question, but if I wanted to say 'I hope that it will be fun', would it be 'espero que sea divertido' or 'espero que fuere divertido'. Or something else altogether; we haven't learnt it yet but I would like to include it in a piece of writing. Thank you!
m2maj
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The one that says divertido
Rebeccamaurier
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
you would use ‘sea’ because it is the subjunctive x
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Use sea as a subjunctive
mandyelicup
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rebeccamaurier)
you would use ‘sea’ because it is the subjunctive x
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Use sea as a subjunctive
Thank you!!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
np
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by mandyelicup)
Thank you!!
The phrase espero que is a subjunctive trigger, so anything after it should be in the present subjunctive. One thing to note, however, is that if it's the same subject (I hope I can or I hope I play etc), then you simply say espero poder or espero jugar etc. Since here you're saying I hope it will be fun (first subject is I and second is it) then it would be espero que sea divertido.
Last edited by Quick-use; 6 months ago
mandyelicup
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
The phrase espero que is a subjunctive trigger, so anything after it should be in the present subjunctive. One thing to note, however, is that if it's the same subject (I hope I can or I hope I play etc), then you simply say espero poder or espero jugar etc. Since here you're saying I hope it will be fun (first subject is I and second is it) then it would be espero que sea divertido.
Thanks so much, this is really useful!
DeliaMoreno
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hola Mandy,

Espero que sea divertido is the one when you express a wish for the future.

Esperaba que fuera divertido (pero no lo fue) : I was hoping it was fun (but it wasn't) when you use ESPERAR, DESEAR, PREFERIR, NECESITAR in the past. Therefore, it triggers the need for imperfect subjunctive.

Don't use fuere. It's a very old form that isn't used in Spanish any more . You only see it in "old" literature or in sayings such as: donde fueres haz lo que vieres (when in Rome, do what Romans do)

My name is Delia from Spanish no panic. I post lots of exclusive contents for A-level students on my Youtube, Instagram and FB accounts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (358)
84.04%
No (68)
15.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed