Need to vent - Anyone else feeling frustrated by how we're being treated?

Watch
Gabbie Shortie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Background spent 2019 learning to drive and booked a test I had my 1st test booked in April 2020 ended up taking it in September and failed (was a silly mistake as I was nervous as hell but the feedback was that I was driving really well up to the mistake (damn it happens)

Booked another one right away waited 4 MONTHS for a new test (literally the first date I could pick) on January 13th. I missed out on that test by 1 week due to lockdown...Great okay.

My theory expires on March 22nd and tests are resuming on April 12th according to my instructor so need to book another theory and do it again.

Main things that irritate me

- The email they sent to me basically said "sorry to disappoint you but you're now unsafe " but the 60-year-old who never took the test is fine, the person who hasn't done the theory test in 20 odd years yeah that's fine...I always see absolute twits when I'm driving around as well.

- I was at the front of the test queue, (as mine was cancelled a week before lockdown so would've been in the first few to get a test booked) now it being cancelled I will be right at the back and could wait months (4-6 months or more) for a new test after re-doing my theory.

Sorry everyone needed to rant feel free to rant too if in the same boat. I get the rules but as Ireland and some others have extended their theory tests and England haven't it makes it a bit of a kick to the teeth.
Last edited by Gabbie Shortie; 2 months ago
phoenixluna
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Gabbie Shortie)
Background spent 2019 learning to drive and booked a test I had my 1st test booked in April ended up taking it in September and failed (was a silly mistake as I was nervous as hell but the feedback was that I was driving really well up to the mistake (damn it happens)

Booked another one right away waited 4 MONTHS for a new test (literally the first date I could pick) on January 13th. I missed out on that test by 1 week due to lockdown...Great okay.

My theory expires on March 22nd and tests are resuming on April 12th according to my instructor so need to book another theory and do it again.

- The email they sent to me basically said "sorry to disappoint you but you're now unsafe " but the 60-year-old who never took the test is fine, the person who hasn't done the theory test in 20 odd years yeah that's fine...I always see absolute twits when I'm driving around as well.

- I was at the front of the test queue, (as mine was cancelled a week before lockdown so would've been in the first few to get a test booked) now it being cancelled I will be right at the back and could wait months (4-6 months or more) for a new test after re-doing my theory.

Sorry everyone needed to rant feel free to rant too if in the same boat. I get the rules but as Ireland and some others have extended their theory tests and England haven't it makes it a bit of a kick to the teeth.
my situation isn’t as bad, but it’s so frustrating. my mum’s health isn’t great all the time and she was relying on me to finally be able to drive so i can take her to doctors appointments and go shopping for her. they just don’t understand.
holly0212
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
My driving test has been cancelled 3 times now, really i could have been driving last june that when my first test was booked. I guess i was lucky that my theory test lasts 2 years. I'm just raging that I was late onto the website to book my test and the closest date i got was near the start of jan (this was November) and then it was cancelled but even worse people who never had their test cancelled got a test before me and got it done before the lockdown. idk how that worked out. I'm the same as the comment above i really wanted to get my license to also take my mum to appointments its just so annoying.
Justaboutalive
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Similar situation here.
Passed theory Jan 2020.
I've had my practical test booked for March last year and it's been postponed over and over. It's just too much. The new date is March 15th yet we are only just going to be out of lockdown and I haven't been driving for a while.
Joshkav
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It's just one of those 1 in a lifetime things. No one knew something like this would happen. DVSA will be playing catch up on driving tests for some time, don't forget it is not just car driving tests they do. They have to do HGV, Bike, Trailer, Bus, etc driving tests as well. The theory predicament about it not being extended is they can't extend it by law. Parliament actually debated it on the 28th January, you can see the meeting here- https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Inde...4-3d95908cd9f4 at 17:01. Just basically said that they can't extend it in UK law, as too much time has passed since you sat your theory and after 2 years, they consider you to have forgotten most things and need to resit.

Wish you all the best that you will be on the road in the coming months.
Last edited by Joshkav; 2 months ago
Gabbie Shortie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joshkav)
It's just one of those 1 in a lifetime things. No one knew something like this would happen. DVSA will be playing catch up on driving tests for some time, don't forget it is not just car driving tests they do. They have to do HGV, Bike, Trailer, Bus, etc driving tests as well. The theory predicament about it not being extended is they can't extend it by law. Parliament actually debated it on the 28th January, you can see the meeting here- https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Inde...4-3d95908cd9f4 at 17:01. Just basically said that they can't extend it in UK law, as too much time has passed since you sat your theory and after 2 years, they consider you to have forgotten most things and need to resit.

Yeah just find it silly I see so many drivers who don't follow basic road laws/rules or don't know them at all etc. Yet I've apparently forgotten it all after 2 years. (I haven't) I took a few practice tests recently and passed them. Its just irritating.
amelialkelly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This thread is nice to read and relate to everyone. Admittedly I'm in a completely normal position, I began to learn last March after my 17th, went into lockdown and learned during summer. For some reason I didn't book a test for ages, I couldn't seem to find one at the right time and I also struggled to get lessons when I was back during college. When I was near 'test standard', I booked for start of December and it was cancelled, lockdown in the way. Then I booked for very start of Feb as it was the next nearest I could get... cancelled again. It's been rescheduled for June, which is fine. It's infuriating because I know so many people, months older and younger than me who have passed really quickly, it really has been about booking the test at the right time and getting it out of the way. I just feel like whenever I'm getting near to passing, I go back to stage one. It's dead frustrating because I'm off to uni next year and it feels like I won't have the opportunity to learn then, especially since I've bought a car. I'm reading this and I feel like it's a massive first world problem... but it is still slightly disheartening.
Gabbie Shortie
Rep:
?
(Original post by amelialkelly)
This thread is nice to read and relate to everyone. Admittedly I'm in a completely normal position, I began to learn last March after my 17th, went into lockdown and learned during summer. For some reason I didn't book a test for ages, I couldn't seem to find one at the right time and I also struggled to get lessons when I was back during college. When I was near 'test standard', I booked for start of December and it was cancelled, lockdown in the way. Then I booked for very start of Feb as it was the next nearest I could get... cancelled again. It's been rescheduled for June, which is fine. It's infuriating because I know so many people, months older and younger than me who have passed really quickly, it really has been about booking the test at the right time and getting it out of the way. I just feel like whenever I'm getting near to passing, I go back to stage one. It's dead frustrating because I'm off to uni next year and it feels like I won't have the opportunity to learn then, especially since I've bought a car. I'm reading this and I feel like it's a massive first world problem... but it is still slightly disheartening.
I get it, I'm 21 (Nearly 22) and started learning when I was ready/wanted to drive, didn't really need to until this point honestly no one will care what age you passed, and you shouldn't worry my instructor is teaching people in their 30s 40s even 60s! to learn to drive its perfectly fine to take your time and do it at your own pace. Now I can buy my own car at this age (2nd hand ofc) and if I was 17/18 I wouldn't have really gone anywhere lol so just enjoy it.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Joshkav)

Disagree that no one knew something like this would happen. Bill Gates, among many others (he's just the most prominent one that has mentioned it) were saying something like this would happen. Pandemics are ALWAYS a matter of when, never if.

Though it is a bit silly that after 2 years, you need to retake your theory if you haven't passed, but if you pass and don't drive for 2 years you're perfectly fine, despite it being almost exactly the same situation.
TheDE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don't buy into the cryfest of poor me look how this affects me I don't get to do the things I want etc...

But the DVSA and in fact all government agencies did create contingency plans for this pandemic and have to make business continuity plans for basically every thinkable occurrence.

And OP a learner with no full licence and 2 years past their theory test is definitely less safe than the average someone who has been driving for eons.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Gabbie Shortie)
Background spent 2019 learning to drive and booked a test I had my 1st test booked in April 2020 ended up taking it in September and failed (was a silly mistake as I was nervous as hell but the feedback was that I was driving really well up to the mistake (damn it happens)

OP, I'm in a very similar situation to you - it is SO frustating!

My test was booked for March but my theory expires at the start of April, meaning like yourself, I've had to cancel my practical and will have to wait for everyone with a booked theory to take theirs before I can re-take my own. Same with the practical.

I totally understand about learners potentially forgetting parts of driving theory, but as above, it's no different from someone passing their theory and practical and then just choosing not to drive for the next 2 years. I have a friend who passed his driving test at 17 and has never driven since, he's now 28, yet he wouldn't have to re-take a theory test whenever he decides to drive regularly. And I can say with a decent amount of certainty that I know far more theory than he does. I just think expecting learners to pay for and sit another theory test when this whole situation is out of our control is unfair. Yes, in regular circumstances, I would have most likely passed my practical within two years of passing my theory. But this isn't normal circumstances.

If I wanted to drive just for the sake of it then I wouldn't mind so much. But finding employment is bordering on impossible unless I can drive, meaning I'm struggling financially which is taking a toll on my mental health. Part of me is selfishly dreading the end of lockdown as everyone will be getting on with their lives whereas I'll just be stuck at home, no money, not being able to drive, no job, not progressing, yet having to watch other people move on, find employment, start their career etc. I'm trying not to think of it as wasting so many years of study and experience only to fall at the last hurdle but it's very difficult. I guess what I'm trying to say is that for many, it's not just a case of 'boo hoo I can't drive so I can't see my mates', but thinking about the consequences that can have a real impact on people's lives.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads