666som
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi guys, I’m currently on a gap year and I need to achieve a grade A in chem this year, if exams go ahead. The method I’m using right now and is just doing a ton of past papers but I haven’t really finished the whole content yet. Should I just focus more on A-level topics right now because I feel like I’m spending quite a lot of time on As topics and they don’t really come up as much. Also, for paper 3 I’m quite behind on practicals as well. Do you guys think I’d be able to leave out some practicals that isn’t as important as titration, calorimetry, different tests etc and if so which ones can I skip(or briefly go over)?
studyAngelx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 666som)
Hi guys, I’m currently on a gap year and I need to achieve a grade A in chem this year, if exams go ahead. The method I’m using right now and is just doing a ton of past papers but I haven’t really finished the whole content yet. Should I just focus more on A-level topics right now because I feel like I’m spending quite a lot of time on As topics and they don’t really come up as much. Also, for paper 3 I’m quite behind on practicals as well. Do you guys think I’d be able to leave out some practicals that isn’t as important as titration, calorimetry, different tests etc and if so which ones can I skip(or briefly go over)?
Do you do aqa chemistry? If so, calorimetry and titrations are two of the most common practicals that come up.

You should try to revise the practicals along with the content so it’s easier to memorise and understand the concept of the practical. For example, revise calorimetry practical with enthalpy/thermodynamics.

In addition, you should definitely focus on a level topics because they dominate the papers in amount of marks and frequency of questions.

Definitely try to do practices questions soon after you learn a new topic so you’re consolidating your knowledge, although sometimes it maybe difficult if the questions tie in with a topic you haven’t learnt yet.

Remember, as weird as it sounds, we learn the 2 years of content solely to answer the questions that come up in the real exam at a level. So although they ideally go hand in hand, really you should focus on being able to answer as many questions as you can with the knowledge you have.
UsernameF40
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Dont try to skip anything out. The least expected topics always crop up in the exam. Believe me! I would spend a large proportion dedicated to the practicals. In Chemistry practicals are one of the most fundamental areas that come up in the paper and they're easy marks to gain. For Paper 3 (encompasses all the specication) try to read around the Chemistry ie Top research projects being undertaken around the world with links into your specification. Try to do shed load of past papers from your current spec to the legacy papers. You wont go wrong. If you need aid just ask. Hope this helps!
Last edited by UsernameF40; 3 months ago
666som
Rep:
?
(Original post by studyAngelx)
Do you do aqa chemistry? If so, calorimetry and titrations are two of the most common practicals that come up.

You should try to revise the practicals along with the content so it’s easier to memorise and understand the concept of the practical. For example, revise calorimetry practical with enthalpy/thermodynamics.

In addition, you should definitely focus on a level topics because they dominate the papers in amount of marks and frequency of questions.

Definitely try to do practices questions soon after you learn a new topic so you’re consolidating your knowledge, although sometimes it maybe difficult if the questions tie in with a topic you haven’t learnt yet.

Remember, as weird as it sounds, we learn the 2 years of content solely to answer the questions that come up in the real exam at a level. So although they ideally go hand in hand, really you should focus on being able to answer as many questions as you can with the knowledge you have.
yeah I’m doing AQA and titration and calorimetry are the two practicals I’m trying to throughly revise along with tests for different substances. With AS subjects I’ve gone through them already but I’m just having an issue with retaining all the information because I’m learning a level content rn. Thank you for your advice and if you have anymore please do tell me!
666som
Rep:
?
(Original post by UsernameF40)
Dont try to skip anything out. The least expected topics always crop up in the exam. Believe me! I would spend a large proportion dedicated to the practicals. In Chemistry practicals are one of the most fundamental areas that come up in the paper and they're easy marks to gain. For Paper 3 (encompasses all the specication) try to read around the Chemistry ie Top research projects being undertaken around the world with links into your specification. Try to do shed load of past papers from your current spec to the legacy papers. You wont go wrong. If you need aid just ask. Hope this helps!y
Yeah I’m trying to make sure I have at least some memory on all the content but it’s just quite a lot to remember. Regarding practicals, I was going to spend the last month and a half really solidifying my understanding but for now I’m just reading over them and making a few notes here and there on the important ones. Also, thank you for your advice I would definitely appreciate if you have anymore!
studyAngelx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
yeah I’m doing AQA and titration and calorimetry are the two practicals I’m trying to throughly revise along with tests for different substances. With AS subjects I’ve gone through them already but I’m just having an issue with retaining all the information because I’m learning a level content rn. Thank you for your advice and if you have anymore please do tell me!
No worries! I’m a gap year student too. What I do to retain a lot of knowledge is active recall. Chemistry especially has a lot of detail to remember, so once I’ve finished revising a topic I write a set of specific questions, maybe 5-20 questions depending on the topic size, that allows me to remember important details in each topic, and a few days later I answer those questions.

I also created a google spreadsheet where I write the date I revised a set of questions on one topic, and use red yellow or green to reflect how much I remember. It’s helped me soo much and I strongly recommend. You can easily identify your weakest areas and also identify how long it’s been since you’ve revised a certain topic.

The questions only take a short time to go through, so if you could find maybe an hour a day going through 3 sets questions everyday you’ll remember so much more!

maybe try to find a day where you can sit down and go through all your AS topics and create separate question sheets for them.
Last edited by studyAngelx; 3 months ago
666som
Rep:
?
(Original post by studyAngelx)
No worries! I’m a gap year student too. What I do to retain a lot of knowledge is active recall. Chemistry especially has a lot of detail to remember, so once I’ve finished revising a topic I write a set of specific questions, maybe 5-20 questions depending on the topic size, that allows me to remember important details in each topic, and a few days later I answer those questions.

I also created a google spreadsheet where I write the date I revised a set of questions on one topic, and use red yellow or green to reflect how much I remember. It’s helped me soo much and I strongly recommend. You can easily identify your weakest areas and also identify how long it’s been since you’ve revised a certain topic.

The questions only take a short time to go through, so if you could find maybe an hour a day going through 3 sets questions everyday you’ll remember so much more!

maybe try to find a day where you can sit down and go through all your AS topics and create separate question sheets for them.
Yeah I write quite a few questions on little flash cards for different topics which are helpful. The spreadsheet idea sounds quite good, right now I just try to remember which topics I’m weak at and go through them. Yeah AS content I’m going to focus on near the end. Thank you again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (186)
43.76%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.53%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.76%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
20.94%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (43)
10.12%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.88%

Watched Threads