The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
squid
when i was in year 7 i'd always call up the police and be like "have you seen the muffin man?" "the muffin man?" "the muffin man!". I was a ****.

lmao. :d :d :d :d
My friend once called the police on her mobile when she and I were being chased and pelted with mud by these thugs in the local woods...

I've never called accidentally I don't think. Or ever actually.
NW8_SW1_EC3
How do you find a job as a 999 telephone operator? That would be awesome.

Emergency Service Dispatcher.

Make sure you have the right qualities if your thinking of applying for this job. There are recruitment drives all around the UK now and again, type it into google and have a gander.
robbo3045
Emergency Service Dispatcher.

Make sure you have the right qualities if your thinking of applying for this job. There are recruitment drives all around the UK now and again, type it into google and have a gander.

Thanks dude, checking it out now, more out of interest than anything else.
I was once trying to top up or something and it was something like 666, and ended up ringing the number, then the operator was like "Which service do you want" and I was like, oh ****! :rolleyes: I'm a bit of an idiot you see.
my lil bro called the cops when he was 4 years old, they showed up LOL, asked to see him and just laughed their asses off
one2three_abc
I was once trying to top up or something and it was something like 666, and ended up ringing the number, then the operator was like "Which service do you want" and I was like, oh ****! :rolleyes: I'm a bit of an idiot you see.

Can I ask? How is that possible :rofl:?
Reply 47
Don't worry, they don't send the pigs down when a crime is taking place, they sure won't send anyone down because you mis-dialled!
Checkmate121
my lil bro called the cops when he was 4 years old, they showed up LOL, asked to see him and just laughed their asses off

I remember they didn't seem too annoyed when I done it, my mum was mad angry but they were really nice about it, I would of though they would be pissed.
NW8_SW1_EC3
I remember they didn't seem too annoyed when I done it, my mum was mad angry but they were really nice about it, I would of though they would be pissed.

I'd get pretty pissy if it was my 10th false alarm of the day!

Maybe you were the first or its policy to be nice - why would you be nasty to a kid who didn't realise the consequences?
Choccielatte
Can I ask? How is that possible :rofl:?

Yeah, it does seem pretty impossible...I either wasn't concentrating (most likely) and pressed 999, or just, well...I don't know! I don't think the woman was too impressed. :shifty:
Reply 51
Even with keylock on, 999 can be still dialed because it is an important number. :smile:

I did that once though at home and I waited until someone said hello then hung up and then like seconds later, they rang back and my dad told me off. I was like 5?
Reply 52
I wouldn't want to be you right now!
Choccielatte
I'd get pretty pissy if it was my 10th false alarm of the day!

Maybe you were the first or its policy to be nice - why would you be nasty to a kid who didn't realise the consequences?

True, well I did know it was wrong, but was too immature to stop myself. My mum made them both coffee and forced them to eat biscuits, that might of put them in a better mood. She is so gay.
Reply 54
Why do some mobile networks have their voicemail number as "121"?

I've accidentally dialled "112" on a few occasions, but the operators have been fine when I apologised.

William.
NW8_SW1_EC3
When I was very young I dialed 999 and hung up, police came to my house, my mum was so angry with me.

when i was younger i also called the police, it was when i was only a toddler and (according to my mum) was having a conversation down the phone with a policeman about utter rubbish - he was trying to tell me to put my mum on and i was ignoring him :rofl:
My friend called 999 to ask for a PUK code for her phone when she got it locked.
To be fair, she's a bit dappy, and it said "sos" which she thought would connect her to orange :rolleyes:
Don't worry about it. Keypad lock delibrately doesn't prevent 999 calls. The operators are used to it and know how to recognise them.

They only get upset about malicious calls.
Reply 58
I phoned them when I was 12, me and my mate were messing about with the phone, I turned it off to stop them looking at stuff and my mate turned it back on and tried to enter the PIN code, one of us must have pressed the SOS button when we grabbed it.

When I got the phone back and put the PIN code in I got a call a few minutes later from a withheld number which was Avon & Somerset Police, asking if I needed 999!:eek:

They were understanding about it and said that a lot of people do it, but the PIN hadn't even been entered though so I never thought that could have happened!! That's why I was so shocked when they phoned back! Always careful with the phone off people now (although I don’t think my new phones have had that “feature”!)

Avon & Somerset did put a series of time wasting clips on the local paper website from real 999 calls, and they went on youtube, think the youtube ones have been taken down now though, they were pretty interesting to listen to, including one lady with some coursework who kept asking the operator "when the internet started" :eek: Plus another who’s wife hadn’t made him any dinner or something really strange like that!
CheesyBeans
I accidently phoned my nan once and she heard me and my mates talking about a girl we knew getting fingered on the park.

Haha Lmao.

Latest

Trending

Trending