The Student Room Group

Can someone help me with this chem question

Hydrogen reacts with iodine to form hydrogen iodide. Iodine has is purple and hydrogen iodide gas is colourless.
Hydrogen and iodine are placed in a sealed container. The container is left until equilibrium is reached. The conditions are changes favouring the forward reaction. Explain what you would see.
Original post by naz00
Hydrogen reacts with iodine to form hydrogen iodide. Iodine has is purple and hydrogen iodide gas is colourless.
Hydrogen and iodine are placed in a sealed container. The container is left until equilibrium is reached. The conditions are changes favouring the forward reaction. Explain what you would see.

The equation for this reaction is:
H2 + I2 2HI
Because the reaction is now favourable for the forward reaction, this means the position of equilibrium shifts to the right. This means there is a higher concentration of the hydrogen iodide in the reaction this. Therefore you will see the reaction turn from purple to colourless.
Reply 2
Original post by holly263
The equation for this reaction is:
H2 + I2 2HI
Because the reaction is now favourable for the forward reaction, this means the position of equilibrium shifts to the right. This means there is a higher concentration of the hydrogen iodide in the reaction this. Therefore you will see the reaction turn from purple to colourless.

Omg thank you!!!!
Original post by naz00
Omg thank you!!!!

aha no problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest