anonymous908
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Is anyone planning to start the LPC in January 2022?
Last edited by anonymous908; 7 months ago
DCDCo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Quite a few of the big firms are stipulating that from 2022 onwards they will require you to complete the SQE path. Something to consider.
anonymous908
Rep:
?
Yeah I've heard about that too. I don't think many firms will require their future trainees to take the SQE as I've heard that most law firms prefer the LPC. So it basically won't matter for the next few years whether someone has done the SQE or the LPC I think.
Gmaster1980
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'm fairly sure that if you start the LPC after 2021, you still have to do the SQE part 2.
17Student17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I have had advice from the SRA on this as regards those accepting a GDL place in summer 2021 to start Sept 2021. I believe if you start a law degree or GDL or have an offer of a place on the GDL or a training contract offer or any of those by about August 2021 then you can continue down the old /current route. So someone getting a GDL place offer summer 2021, starting GDL (or LPC or law degree) in Sept 2021 is under the existing route not SQE (unless they choose to switch in some way).

So starting LPC in Jan 2022 - could be old or new route depending on if that person by summer 2021 has done or is doing a law degree or GDL before then..

I think also if you do the LPC from Jan 2022 and had done the GDL or law degree earlier as above, but could not get a training contract but might get qualifying work experience of the high level kind, you could then choose to do SQE2 after the LPC but not have to do SQE1. The latter surprised me as I thought originally you either had to do SQE1 and 2 or the old route but I think you can mix and match in that way.

Email the SRA if anything is not clear as then you have a written record of the advice.
anonymous908
Rep:
?
(Original post by 17Student17)
I have had advice from the SRA on this as regards those accepting a GDL place in summer 2021 to start Sept 2021. I believe if you start a law degree or GDL or have an offer of a place on the GDL or a training contract offer or any of those by about August 2021 then you can continue down the old /current route. So someone getting a GDL place offer summer 2021, starting GDL (or LPC or law degree) in Sept 2021 is under the existing route not SQE (unless they choose to switch in some way).

So starting LPC in Jan 2022 - could be old or new route depending on if that person by summer 2021 has done or is doing a law degree or GDL before then..

I think also if you do the LPC from Jan 2022 and had done the GDL or law degree earlier as above, but could not get a training contract but might get qualifying work experience of the high level kind, you could then choose to do SQE2 after the LPC but not have to do SQE1. The latter surprised me as I thought originally you either had to do SQE1 and 2 or the old route but I think you can mix and match in that way.

Email the SRA if anything is not clear as then you have a written record of the advice.
Hi there,

Thanks for the response. I can qualify through the current route as I already have a law degree. I really hope I can apply for training contracts next year as I wouldn’t want to do the sqe after the lpc. If I have no other option than to do that, at least I would have the lpc qualification, which I think many law firms prefer at the moment.
Scottybanks1013
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey is anyone doing the January 2022 LPC at BPP?
KristinaMaria
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonymous908)
Is anyone planning to start the LPC in January 2022?
I'm planning on starting the LPC in January 2022. I plan to go to the University of Law but I haven't decided which campus to attend (I'm not near any of them so I'll have to move either way). Do you know where you plan to study?
17Student17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I went to Chester which was lovely (and I already had my London training contract). London rents are very expensive but if you hope to get a job in London and make friends there then London is sometimes wise if you can afford it.
Leeds is another good City. I am not a great fan of Birmingham. Bristol is lovely but rents are more expensive than the London ones and than the Guildford rents.
KristinaMaria
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 17Student17)
I went to Chester which was lovely (and I already had my London training contract). London rents are very expensive but if you hope to get a job in London and make friends there then London is sometimes wise if you can afford it.
Leeds is another good City. I am not a great fan of Birmingham. Bristol is lovely but rents are more expensive than the London ones and than the Guildford rents.
Hello! Chester is actually one of my top choices as I'm not a big fan of living in big cities. Was the teaching good there? From your experience, did most people pass?
17Student17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, it was excellent but I don't know the pass rates of anywhere as I don't think they are published. Chester is such a lovely place. It was a very good year. Also there only used to be three Colleges of Law (not university of law) in the old days all run and owned by the Law Society (no BPP etc in those days) and the only 3 places in the UK you could do the course were London, Guildford and Chester so it has a very very long history of helping solicitors in this way - Chester was the only place which is not in SE England you could do the course in those days if you go back far enough.
Last edited by 17Student17; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (103)
87.29%
No (15)
12.71%

Watched Threads