Do we need to know amide and amine nomenclature for OCR A ?

Watch
lhh2003
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
In terms of like with the N prefix ?

My teacher is unsure.

Thank you very much.

Pigster
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by lhh2003)
In terms of like with the N prefix ?

My teacher is unsure.

Thank you very much.

Pigster
Yes, but no.

4.1.1 (a) application of IUPAC rules of nomenclature for systematically naming organic compounds
Guidance says: Nomenclature will be limited to the functional groups within this specification.

So, yes.

But they never do. I don't teach N-substituted amines and certainly not amides. I tell my students as some of them may be doing competition papers/planning to go to university and it pays to know a bit more than the spec requires, but no.
lhh2003
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Pigster)
Yes, but no.

4.1.1 (a) application of IUPAC rules of nomenclature for systematically naming organic compounds
Guidance says: Nomenclature will be limited to the functional groups within this specification.

So, yes.

But they never do. I don't teach N-substituted amines and certainly not amides. I tell my students as some of them may be doing competition papers/planning to go to university and it pays to know a bit more than the spec requires, but no.
You say they "never do" , but it still could come up as a hard back of the paper question, right ? Could they expect us to draw the molecule out from its name as opposed to just name it form the drawing ?

Thanks.
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by lhh2003)
You say they "never do" , but it still could come up as a hard back of the paper question, right ? Could they expect us to draw the molecule out from its name as opposed to just name it form the drawing ?

Thanks.
I am so confident that they won't be asked that I don't teach my students how to name them. But, my suggestion is: if you are worried that they might turn on a paper, then why not learn how to name them?

Part of the problem with naming amines and amides is quite a fair few teachers don't know how to.

Quite a few think that CH3NH2 is methylamine.

And they'd be wrong.

And who can blame them? June 11 F324 Q 2a states there is such a chemical as ethylamine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
38.14%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.79%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.19%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.74%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.89%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.25%

Watched Threads