The Student Room Group

How long can you stall a graduate job offer when waiting for other employers?

Hi, I am currently in my final year and have been offered one graduate job that I applied to in December. But I am also waiting on some other employers (higher on my wishlist) where I am in the final stages of recruitment.

How long can I ask the company with the job offer to wait for? The recruitment process took 3 months. Can I also accept and then decline if the other employers offer me a job in a months time let's say?
Original post by Ghost10Bxl
Hi, I am currently in my final year and have been offered one graduate job that I applied to in December. But I am also waiting on some other employers (higher on my wishlist) where I am in the final stages of recruitment.

How long can I ask the company with the job offer to wait for? The recruitment process took 3 months. Can I also accept and then decline if the other employers offer me a job in a months time let's say?

Take the job. Tell them you’re not going to take it at a later date if you choose not to.

These things are normal.

What’s not normal is for a company to bend over backwards for a graduate. Sadly the world doesn’t revolve around you. You are merely a target for a HR company.
Reply 2
Original post by MatureStudent37
Take the job. Tell them you’re not going to take it at a later date if you choose not to.

These things are normal.

What’s not normal is for a company to bend over backwards for a graduate. Sadly the world doesn’t revolve around you. You are merely a target for a HR company.

Lol, I can imagine. Thank you!
Original post by Ghost10Bxl
Lol, I can imagine. Thank you!

My pleasure. I know work in engineering/manufacturing. We recruit somebody and there’s about a 50:50 chance they’ll stay.

Just check you’re paperwork. There may be a bursary involved that you need to pay back or some clause thy says you can’t go and work for a competitor.
Reply 4
Normally they tell you how long the offer stands for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending