The Student Room Group

A-level sociology. Exam question help!!

I need help with some points to talk about in this question, and how would you structure it.
Asses right wing solutions to the problem of crime (20marks).
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi! I took sociology last year and here's what I found in my notes for right-wing crime prevention. I did assume you were talking about right realism, but in the broader description of right-wing, most consensus theories could apply to this. You could easily talk about Murray's underclass theory for this (if you want to get into that crazy stuff !!)

Right realists attempt to make it harder for criminals to commit a crime and increase the risk of getting caught, so that crime becomes less attractive to prospective criminals.
Situational Crime Prevention
Focus on the specific point at which a decision is made to commit a crime. It stems from Rational Choice Theory, so tries to reduce the opportunity for people to commit a crime, or increase the risk of getting caught. This is done through:
- Increasing surveillance. For example, through CCTV.
- Target hardening. For example, better security on houses.
Governments find these policies appealing because they are relatively cheap and simple to implement. Individuals can also privately use situational crime prevention.
Evaluation
- Ignores inequality and deprivation as causes of crime.
- Ignores the role of emotion and thrill; some see it as a way they are able to show their physical power and ‘street smartness'
- Only opportunistic street crime.
- Leads to crime displacement.
- Much easier for the middle class to employ rather than the working class.
- Cheap and simple to employ.

Environmental Crime Prevention
Changing the broader area or environment in which crime occurs through increasing formal and informal social control measures. For example, Zero Tolerance Policing, ASBOs, curfews and street drinking bans.
Zero Tolerance Policing involves strict penalties for minor crimes or anti-social behaviour, such as drug possession or public drinking.
Evaluation
- More expensive than situational crime prevention - requires a lot of police to patrol.
- Interactionists say that giving more power to police and CJS will lead to more labelling and more deviant careers.
@thelittleowlet
Thankyou so much for your help, really appreciate it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest