peakyblinder
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I have an offer at Harris Manchester for October 2021.
I'll turn 21 a couple of days before I'm due to start, so I only just qualify as a mature student. I didn't apply to Harris Manchester, but got pooled pre-interview, which I was gutted about. I also hinted at interview that I wasn't keen on a mature college (stupid, I know...).

I'm currently at a different (equally good) university, and honestly, I don't think I want to accept the Oxford offer if it means going to Harris Manchester. I'm really not comfortable with the idea of a mature college; I've been to them at my current uni and found their atmosphere to be completely different, and they also tend not to be part of what's going on in the university.
I'm thinking I should ask to change colleges now, because there's nothing to lose, but is there even a realistic chance of them saying yes? I've read other threads on the topic, but in all of them, people were saying they wanted to change for prestige reasons, which isn't the case for me. If anyone has any insight, I'd be really grateful.
Lidocaine
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What are you planning on studying? Is there any logical reason you think HM wouldn't be for you? Your current university may not be an accurate reflection of Oxford. Most folk at HM are in their 20s I believe. I'm not sure they're shipping you off to the old folks home quite yet.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Harris Manchester is fine. The odds of them changing it for you are very, very slim.
mishieru07
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by peakyblinder)
I'll turn 21 a couple of days before I'm due to start, so I only just qualify as a mature student. I didn't apply to Harris Manchester, but got pooled pre-interview, which I was gutted about. I also hinted at interview that I wasn't keen on a mature college (stupid, I know...).

I'm currently at a different (equally good) university, and honestly, I don't think I want to accept the Oxford offer if it means going to Harris Manchester. I'm really not comfortable with the idea of a mature college; I've been to them at my current uni and found their atmosphere to be completely different, and they also tend not to be part of what's going on in the university.
I'm thinking I should ask to change colleges now, because there's nothing to lose, but is there even a realistic chance of them saying yes? I've read other threads on the topic, but in all of them, people were saying they wanted to change for prestige reasons, which isn't the case for me. If anyone has any insight, I'd be really grateful.
I knew a lot of people who went to HMC because the male students from my country are typically 21 by the time they enroll due to compulsory military service. My understanding is that most HMC students are in their early 20s, and HMC is not that different from a usual college - they have the usual Oxford traditions like formals, rowing etc. There is nothing stopping you from becoming involved in university-level events and clubs if you want (as is the case for any student from any college) - in fact I met my SO (who went to HMC) at a university-level competition.

I highly doubt you will be allowed to change colleges (usually this requires circumstances like changing to a subject which your college does not offer), but there is no harm in asking. I will however say that I think HMC is perfectly fine as a college, and I personally wouldn't reject it purely because it's a mature college. Maybe get in touch with the JCR and ask if you can speak with current students to get a better idea of what life at HMC is like?
athenacripon1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by peakyblinder)

Hey @peakyblinder, perhaps join a group chat with current hmc offer holders and see if you like it? honestly, the term mature college is really not fitting because hmc is really consisted of people who either have associates from other prestigious unis or people who graduated from prestigious unis already, or people who have accomplished quite a good amount of things in life already (in the real world). Also I don't think anybody cares if you are from hmc or lakeplace or kdosif as long as you graduated from oxford
finally, you might find, if you are already at a university, to find more commonalities and maturity in people in hmc for they may be in similar position as you. Hmc is just a part of oxford as any other college!! I'm curious what university you are attending now, so pm me if you have any questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (103)
5.11%
Uncertainty around my education (303)
15.03%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (215)
10.66%
Lack of purpose or motivation (281)
13.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (90)
4.46%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (114)
5.65%
Loneliness (175)
8.68%
Financial worries (73)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (88)
4.37%
Exposure to negative news/social media (95)
4.71%
Lack of real life entertainment (110)
5.46%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (179)
8.88%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (190)
9.42%

Watched Threads