The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
have you been to cambridge? the train station's not even in town!!. and it's definitely not exciting.
naelse
have you been to cambridge? the train station's not even in town!!. and it's definitely not exciting.

I have been there - It's miles out!
Not Exciting?
You have:
HSTs, 225s, EMUs, DMUs, tonnes of freight (no pun intended), engineering trains
What more do you want?
Reply 22
InterCity125
I have been there - It's miles out!
Not Exciting?
You have:
HSTs, 225s, EMUs, DMUs, tonnes of freight (no pun intended), engineering trains
What more do you want?

erm...

:speechless:
Reply 23
Oxford to me feels very understated. I guess this is because it's more than a university. But Cambridge really fills you with the ivory towers and dreamy spires mentality. The backs are stunning and nothing I've ever seen in Oxford comes close to them in my mind, though I wouldn't Cambridge's beauty isn't limited to the backs. I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my universities enchanting!
Reply 24
InterCity125

What more do you want?

A decent service to the West Midlands! :p:
as a place, i actually think cambridge is more attractive (having only been there a few times), but i really don't believe it matters a great deal. after a while you just get used to it.
naelse

The station's only 15 minutes walk away from the town centre :redface:
Reply 27
slinec.
WE have All Souls in Radcliffe Square:

Dudeee, is that snow? Ho often does it snow in Ox.?

How many actual colleges are on thr river?
Reply 28
~Raphael~
Dudeee, is that snow? Ho often does it snow in Ox.?

How many actual colleges are on thr river?

Yup. It usually snows quite heavily once or twice a year on average. Colleges on the river include Magdalen, St Catherines, St Hilda's, and LMH is on or very close to it. Some grad colleges are also on the river.
Reply 29
Eeeexcellllent...I love snow :biggrin:
Reply 30
By "quite heavily" they mean by UK standards - anywhere else it would just be a light dusting :rolleyes:
Reply 31
parallelduck
The station's only 15 minutes walk away from the town centre :redface:

i'm sure it took me 35 mins to walk there last time i tried. so take away 10 mins since i'm in Newnham and that's still 25 mins... but then i was walking at a leisurely pace since I was only out for fresh air rather than any desire to catch a train.
Reply 32
Helenia
By "quite heavily" they mean by UK standards - anywhere else it would just be a light dusting :rolleyes:

yup, UK snow is nothing compared to American snow. We're an island so we've got no chance of getting cold enough for long enough. Mind you, I guess Scotland must do alright snow-wise.
Reply 33
Yes, Scotland is lucky in that respect; I'm moving to Switzerland as soon as I can :biggrin:
What? Scotland, lucky, weather? We had 60 days of consecutive rain two years ago, and as I speak we have howling winds outside (which makes for one hell of a bad hair day, I can tell you!). As for snow, we get the same crappy sleety-sh*te the rest of you get... although there was that Great Snow of 1999, when I spent two days in an airport because the planes couldn't take off...
Personally, I can't wait to move to south(ish) england. It'll be warmer, it won't rain daily without any warning at all! (On the down side, no irn-bru, less whisky, posh accents (all english people sound posh to me!))
Reply 35
~Raphael~
Yes, Scotland is lucky in that respect; I'm moving to Switzerland as soon as I can :biggrin:

I spent three months in Switzerland in my gap year. We only had a week where there wasn't snow on the ground. Of course it had to be the week from Christmas-New Year so I didn't get a white Christmas, but then it started to snow on New Year's Eve and didn't stop for a week! :biggrin:

In fact, I was out there when England had about an inch of snow around London and Cambridge, and the M11 just ground to a halt because nobody had thought to grit it. Considering I was sat in Switzerland with over a metre of snow and everything was still running fine, we thought it was very funny.

Latest

Trending

Trending