Why do we learn the method for binomial expansions if calculators are allowed?

Watch
RevisionRosie04
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Surely just typing '(x-2)^10' into a calculator is easier? All our exams, calculators are allowed. So why do we need to learn it?
Pyruvic Acid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can type that into a calculator that’s approved by the exam board?
RevisionRosie04
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pyruvic Acid)
You can type that into a calculator that’s approved by the exam board?
Casio fx-991ES
Joshwoods01
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it is used later on at university, we use it a lot for probabilities since that form follows the binomial distribution
RevisionRosie04
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joshwoods01)
it is used later on at university, we use it a lot for probabilities since that form follows the binomial distribution
ok, thank you
Joshwoods01
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
additionally, calculators don't expand algebraic brackets (unless you have set the variable to a specific value) hence you use Pascals triangle to find the coefficients of the variable when it is expanded (if you've covered that yet)
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is commonly used as part of a wider algebraic manipulation, sometimes to give a bound/estimate. You're right that the whole "find an approximation for blah^bleh by finding such and such expansion" is pointless.

To give an example, as mentioned above it has applications in probability and combinatorics. For example, setting x = 1 in the binomial theorem reveals that there are 2^n ways to take a sample from n objects. (https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Cardinali...te_Set/Proof_2) Some other examples on proofwiki: https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Special:W...Integral_Index.

If you are not already familiar, \binom n k is the number of ways to choose k objects from a collection of n distinct objects, which you can imagine pops up quite a bit. (so the number of ways to sample from n objects is (number of ways to choose 0 objects from the n) + (number of ways to choose 1 object from the n) + ... = \sum_{k = 0}^n \binom n k = 2^n)
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
Joshwoods01
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _gcx)
It is commonly used as part of a wider algebraic manipulation, sometimes to give a bound/estimate. You're right that the whole "find an approximation for blah^bleh by finding such and such expansion" is pointless.

To give an example, as mentioned above it has applications in probability and combinatorics. For example, setting x = 1 in the binomial theorem reveals that there are 2^n ways to take a sample from n objects. (https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Cardinali...te_Set/Proof_2) Some other examples on proofwiki: https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Special:W...Integral_Index.
we covered this at uni, quite an interesting concept I think
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For the bounding bit, I remember a question at uni that required basically pulling out the fact:

\displaystyle \frac 1 {(1 + \frac 1 n)^{n^2}} \le \frac 1 {1 + \frac {n^2} n + \frac {n^2(n^2 - 1)} {2 n^2}} = \frac 2 {1 + 2n + n^2}

It kind of just "comes up" like that.
Aloe Striata
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RevisionRosie04)
Surely just typing '(x-2)^10' into a calculator is easier? All our exams, calculators are allowed. So why do we need to learn it?
If you're in school/sixth form, you can't use a calculator that allows algebraic manipulation. you just can't. don't try it, you'll get disqualified if you write the exam using such a calculator. if you're in uni, then I don't know, if the calculator is allowed you should be able to do it on the calculator.
Last edited by Aloe Striata; 1 month ago
RevisionRosie04
Rep:
?
I didn't want to go to uni but it sounds kind of fun now
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RevisionRosie04)
my calc doesn't do that wth it cost like 100 lol
.Dezer.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
broke gang :dance:
RevisionRosie04
Rep:
?
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
we've been doing online classes so I've just been using symbolab, rather than getting the calculator out of my bag, and assumed our school calculators work the same
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (166)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (498)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (379)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (473)
13.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (164)
4.83%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (208)
6.13%
Loneliness (288)
8.49%
Financial worries (122)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (137)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (155)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (186)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (302)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.28%

Watched Threads