aprilwendy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am interested in comparative literature and am applying to relative MA programs in these unis. Due to my personal background and my academic interests, I prefer studying English and East Asian modernisms in my master's studies. I have applied to Bristol because I found a research cluster on transnational modernisms that focuses on British, German and Soviet art. I'm considering applying to Warwick because I've found several previous projects corresponding to my interests (brain science and temporality). My only concern is that the program is named World Literature rather than Comparative Literature. (From what I know, the two terms are similar but have subtle differences.) I like Durham for the modules it provides, but again, the program is named Languages, Literatures and Cultures. At this point, I have received an offer from Bristol, but I started to doubt whether or not it's the right choice and began thinking of applying to the other two programs. I'm not crazy about rankings, but since I'm an international student, I have no idea about which of them are better at literature/modern languages/humanities studies. I'm also worried that the different program titles reflect the different perspectives these departments take when looking at literature, and that choosing a program that's not titled comparative literature will mean studying literature in a way I do not like.
jnss.7
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All three are very good options for a Master's. For general student life, Bristol is the winner because Warwick and Durham are both in the middle of nowhere. As for reputation, I'd say for your topic of interest it goes Durham, Bristol, then Warwick. As far as I know, Warwick is pretty irrelevant outside of Maths and Maths-based things. At the end of the day though, you gotta pick the one that you are most willing to invest time into. Pick the degree you like the most.
Forum Helper 8
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jnss.7)
All three are very good options for a Master's. For general student life, Bristol is the winner because Warwick and Durham are both in the middle of nowhere. As for reputation, I'd say for your topic of interest it goes Durham, Bristol, then Warwick. As far as I know, Warwick is pretty irrelevant outside of Maths and Maths-based things. At the end of the day though, you gotta pick the one that you are most willing to invest time into. Pick the degree you like the most.
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Warwick is Fantastic/Oxbridge level on subjects of Mathematics, its business school (subjects there to), economics, Politics, Computer Science. It also has a very good engineering department.
jnss.7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Forum Helper 8)
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Warwick is Fantastic/Oxbridge level on subjects of Mathematics, its business school (subjects there to), economics, Politics, Computer Science. It also has a very good engineering department.
me: "Maths and Maths-based things"
you: nO Its gUd aT oTHeR tHiNgS LikE eConOmICs, ComPooteR sCiEnce aNd EnGineErIng

It's good, don't get me wrong, but have you ever heard people talk about how good their literature courses are? I certainly haven't. I've only ever heard of Maths and Maths-based things. I might be wrong but from my experience I'm normally right.
Forum Helper 8
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jnss.7)
me: "Maths and Maths-based things"
you: nO Its gUd aT oTHeR tHiNgS LikE eConOmICs, ComPooteR sCiEnce aNd EnGineErIng

It's good, don't get me wrong, but have you ever heard people talk about how good their literature courses are? I certainly haven't. I've only ever heard of Maths and Maths-based things. I might be wrong but from my experience I'm normally right.
Yeah if it redid (boosted) its English, history, Law, etc departments. It would be equal to oxbridge.
jnss.7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah if it redid (boosted) its English, history, Law, etc departments. It would be equal to oxbridge.
Let's not push it. Oxbridge is known all over the world; your average Continental European or American would have never even heard of Warwick.
VigoWilliam
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
None would be equal to Oxbridge.
You can't expect an university with less than 80 years history equal to the reputation of those with 800 or 1000 years.
Imperial/LSE is the best for a (relatively) young university can be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (545)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (417)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (513)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (184)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.42%

Watched Threads